APC Forum

Bar keeper's Friend

Twotails

I've Noticed that bar Keepers friend containes Oxalic acid, Would it be possable to Extract the Oxalic acid from BKF? it seems to containe (or so there MSDS refers to) a detergent in the powder. If this could be made into a viable sorce of Oxalic acid, i think it would be an interesting thing to do on a rainy day.

Haha, I notice Twotails is notorious for making things that should be incredibly simple, exceedingly difficult. It's probably possible, but with the effort needed; it is not worth it in my opinion. As Mumbles said, just buy it.

Hmm, guess I'll go with the wood bleach(hopeing I can find it, walmart maby? or Ace/koopmans?) Just though it may be possable, seeing as I was already at walmart, and it was $1.74(needed it anyway, so no loss there)

The last I checked, the wood bleach was about $5 for 330g. Now, go find an MSDS, tell us how much oxalic acid is in Barkeepers Friend, and see the equivalent cost.

There is a guide for extraction in the Rhodium Archives.

Wow, I'll be dammed, theres only its 5-10% by weight in there! That means, at most theres only 59.5g per 595g bottle. That means i would have to use 5 1/2 bottles to equal the same amount of Oxalic acid as the wood bleach, and i would be spending about $10.50! Double the price! And if you add in MA tax, it totals over $11, As opposed to the $5.31 i would cost to get wood bleach(even if i were to pay an more than $5, like even $10, i think it would be worth saving the time an effort)

Im gonna forget about trying to extract it, and focus on hunting it down( Its not a Major complication if i cant find it, It'll just go on the list of my next chemical order)

Thanks for pointing that out.

• 1 month later...
You could also check the labels on the dry acid and stain treat bottles in thee pool section of the big box lumber/hardware stores, some of those will be pure oxalic acid. I haven't checked in quite a while but they used to use it a lot in the pool industry. JFYI