APC Forum

Homemade resistors

Mr.Dan

Why not just gear it down to the speed you want?

Resistors are cheap as hell, go buy some. Although I have never tried using one on any AC appliance.

I think gearing down would be best. But then again, I would advise to buy a 35$ 1/3 HP motor as well.

You cannot just use a single resister to slow down an AC fan. There’s a lot of other stuff including the phase that would get messed up.

If you really want to make a homemade resister, get a piece of paper and a graphite pencil. Make a dark line on the paper, then measure the resistance w/ a multimeter from different points along the line, the further the two points are from each other (more graphite connecting them) the higher the resistance will be.

Another option is to go to home depot or the like, and buy a ceiling fan speed changer. A cheep one will cost about $12.

And if all you want is a resister, buy them. They are extremely cheep.

The ceiling fan speed controls supposedly mess up AC motors. They aren't designed to have the electricity flow manipulated like that. A good way to go is 12 volt DC, because they handle it better. Treadmill motors all the way. :)

The ceiling fan speed controls supposedly mess up AC motors. They aren't designed to have the electricity flow manipulated like that. A good way to go is 12 volt DC, because they handle it better. Treadmill motors all the way.  :)

Interesting, I had not heard that before. Do you know why? I was under the impression that ceiling fans were AC.

The variable ceiling fan controls do not mess up AC motors. The Variable controller only modifies the AC currents magnitude not its phase. This change in magnitude affects the slip speed of the motor and for a washing machine motor changes the load torque to a less efficient value. Essentially there is a direct relationship between speed, torque and speeed slip of the motor. I really needed a half a page to explain that properly.....

Mr. Dan, you don't have to visit this forum, please exercise a little self control and not come to this forum, ever. If you can't do that, Frag your comp for Pyrotechnics sake. In short, Zip your howling screamer.

• 1 year later...
AC motors run at 60 hertz in the USA. These motors are best controlled by frequency inverters which are expensive when bought new. The inverter will increase the hertz to speed up a motor and decrease to slow down. Voltage stays constant and the motor lives to see another day. When using a resistor most motors of any size do not like a voltage drop because they are designed for 120 volts. When this happens things like torque go right out the window as well as run hot and make funny noises. DC motors on the other hand do use a change in voltage to change speed and is much more capable with the right controls and is still pricey. DC motors for years was the best way for speed control until frequency inverters were perfected. With precision, really neat stuff like servo motors with feedback were invented but that is way out of hand for our use. Usually you would want to design the ac motor to run at speed and gear or belt reduce to final drive and is the cheapest most reliable way. I definately agree with Pont. This thread may be old but should have value to someone. I am thinking about building myself a roller as well. I envision a 90VDC gear motor with speed control from EBAY as an ultimate myself!

We got rather off-topic. And old.

Good, though obscure, information. And with that, I think it's time to lock this post.

M