#121 Twotails

Twotails

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics.

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image Thats one thing i do fully agree with, shunning!

"Life improves slowly and goes wrong fast, and only catastrophe is clearly visible." Edward Teller

#122 Dr Boom

Dr Boom

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, Pyrotechnic chemistry, guitar, rock climbing, 4x4 offroading...

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

Just to set the record straight- Lloyd and Mike are both outstanding pyrotechnians and neither one would consciously advocate your bad practices and agree to any name dropping if either knew what kind of garbage you were peddling here.

Fellas, don't worry about this one, just emailed both guys to confirm some things- this is the LAST thing we need is for "Anyka" to become synonymous with either of these folks. You obviously have no respect for either of them as it is quite clear you only posted that for leverage.

Pathetic...
- Doc -

"When the flame of powder toucheth the soul of man, it burneth exceeding deep."

Roger Bacon - 1251 Anno Domini

#123 dagabu

dagabu

Grandmaster

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:42 AM

NOT a response and I am not breaking the shunning!!!!!!

I will be speaking with Harry, Lloyd and Mike this afternoon, I will be asking them to join the shunning and when I speak to the mod at Passfire, I will ask him to do likewise.

Dave
Dave

PGI Member http://www.pgi.org
IPA Member http://www.iowapyro.com

"The art of fire is indeed the supreme art; for fire is at once the universal slave, the universal master."

#124 Dr Boom

Dr Boom

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, Pyrotechnic chemistry, guitar, rock climbing, 4x4 offroading...

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

:whistle:
- Doc -

#125 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

I was about to perform an Admin action, but I see Mumbles beat me to it.

Problem solved. User is Banned.
program: n: a magic spell cast upon computers, which turns user input into error messages. v: A pastime akin to beating one's head against a wall, but with fewer rewards and less personal satisfaction.

#126 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

To add to this, all of Anyka's posts have been unapproved.

That is going to create some odd-looking posts, since quoting her doesn't get stripped out.

But we'll get by that.
program: n: a magic spell cast upon computers, which turns user input into error messages. v: A pastime akin to beating one's head against a wall, but with fewer rewards and less personal satisfaction.

#127 Peret

Peret

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Physics, chemistry, maths

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

To add to this, all of Anyka's posts have been unapproved.

That is going to create some odd-looking posts, since quoting her doesn't get stripped out.

But we'll get by that.

Thank you. It was a dirty job, but so necessary.

#128 dagabu

dagabu

Grandmaster

• Donator
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks mods!

Now... lets get back to fireworks!
Dave

PGI Member http://www.pgi.org
IPA Member http://www.iowapyro.com

"The art of fire is indeed the supreme art; for fire is at once the universal slave, the universal master."

#129 Cookieman

Cookieman

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry,Pyrotechnics,Rocketry, playing electric guitar, Auto Racing, Martial Arts, High Explosives,Automotive mechanics, Cooking,Computers.

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

I think this calls for a celebration!!!!!!!link
"Life only demands from you the strength you possess. Only one feat is possible - not to have run away." -Dag Hammarskjold-

Cookie

#130 Dr Boom

Dr Boom

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Mods and Admin for the clean up. To everyone who was actually trying to make sense of all the horse-stink. Here is the website where Mike Swisher and Lloyd Sponenburgh developed the DE's using a dbl base smokeless powder.

Dragon Eggs

Please read through all that info, it was carefully and thoroughly assembled with few (if any) items left to chance. Great pictures and discussion.

Cheers,
- Doc -

#131 baran420

baran420

Playing with fire

• HE Qualified
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Too many to allow proficiency in any one of them

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:02 AM

OK I guess we can get back onto fireworks.......?Posted Image

Going out on a limb here with my question but seeing this is a big thread and one of several on dragons eggs, perhaps I could be forgiven if the following question has been covered.... Could the red lead be replaced by lead dioxide PbO2? The dioxide can be easily sourced from a spent, though preferably at least partially charged lead-acid battery. This oxide certainly ticks most of the “strong oxidiser” boxes including forming flammable mixes with reducing agents such as sulphur.

My first preference for an oxidiser is however a non lead based one for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts??

Cheers, AB

#132 zAZO9a

zAZO9a

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:ka'boom what else ..i love all fireworks big and small

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

i know this is an old thread but if anyone would be interested in post the x-act comp for the trisulffide version or a actual working version of fuchs pop glitter id be your friend forever

#133 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

This is what I have for Pop Glitter

Potassium Nitrate 44.88
Sulfur 14.28
Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 14
Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 10.5
Charcoal Airfloat 8.84
Copper(II) Oxide, black 4.5
Dextrin 3

NOTES:
This glitter appears more like a strobe, as there is virtually no tail and a long delay followed by gold flashes.

Performance varies with the quantity of magnalium added. Bill says the more the better, with up to 23% possible in some cases before the star simply burns white.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#134 zAZO9a

zAZO9a

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:ka'boom what else ..i love all fireworks big and small

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

thanks mumbles

#135 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

For bismuth DE this has worked very well for me with both bismuth trioxide and subcarbonate. I think red lead even works though I haven't tried.

37.5 Bismuth trioxide or subcarbonate
37.5 Black copper oxide
25 MgAl (200 mesh is what I normally use but depends on the particle size distribution. May have to adjust the size to get one loud explosion)

#136 Seymour

Seymour

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I feel the urge to second the recommendation of this formula. I've used both 60-100 and -100 MgAl and achieved a wide variety of most excellent crackling effects with it.

Usually I bind with NC but have tried other binders too. It's a forgiving and highly tuneable formula, and low on Bismuth :)

#137 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention to bind with NC lacquer, but I think that is what most people use.

I have had good luck using smokeless reloading powder because it is easy to get. I usually use Bullseye which is double base with about 40 percent nitro.

I shoot for about 3 to 4 mm cubes. The entire egg should glow red after ignition for about 1.5 s then explode in one loud explosion. This is controlled by the particle size of the MgAl. If it glows longer, or glows and doesnt explode it needs finer (smaller) MgAl. If one egg makes multiple crackles or a small piece pops and leaves a big chunk unreacted, it needs bigger particle size MgAl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users