APC Forum

My home made dragon egg`s

lokys

To add to this, all of Anyka's posts have been unapproved.

That is going to create some odd-looking posts, since quoting her doesn't get stripped out.

But we'll get by that.

To add to this, all of Anyka's posts have been unapproved.

That is going to create some odd-looking posts, since quoting her doesn't get stripped out.

But we'll get by that.

Thank you. It was a dirty job, but so necessary.

I think this calls for a celebration!!!!!!!

Thanks Mods and Admin for the clean up. To everyone who was actually trying to make sense of all the horse-stink. Here is the website where Mike Swisher and Lloyd Sponenburgh developed the DE's using a dbl base smokeless powder.

Dragon Eggs

Please read through all that info, it was carefully and thoroughly assembled with few (if any) items left to chance. Great pictures and discussion.

Cheers,

OK I guess we can get back onto fireworks.......?2rolleyes.gif

Going out on a limb here with my question but seeing this is a big thread and one of several on dragons eggs, perhaps I could be forgiven if the following question has been covered.... Could the red lead be replaced by lead dioxide PbO2? The dioxide can be easily sourced from a spent, though preferably at least partially charged lead-acid battery. This oxide certainly ticks most of the “strong oxidiser” boxes including forming flammable mixes with reducing agents such as sulphur.

My first preference for an oxidiser is however a non lead based one for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts??

Cheers, AB

• 2 years later...
i know this is an old thread but if anyone would be interested in post the x-act comp for the trisulffide version or a actual working version of fuchs pop glitter id be your friend forever

This is what I have for Pop Glitter

Potassium Nitrate 44.88

Sulfur 14.28

Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 14

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 10.5

Charcoal Airfloat 8.84

Copper(II) Oxide, black 4.5

Dextrin 3

NOTES:

This glitter appears more like a strobe, as there is virtually no tail and a long delay followed by gold flashes.

Performance varies with the quantity of magnalium added. Bill says the more the better, with up to 23% possible in some cases before the star simply burns white.

• 4 weeks later...

For bismuth DE this has worked very well for me with both bismuth trioxide and subcarbonate. I think red lead even works though I haven't tried.

37.5 Bismuth trioxide or subcarbonate

37.5 Black copper oxide

25 MgAl (200 mesh is what I normally use but depends on the particle size distribution. May have to adjust the size to get one loud explosion)

I feel the urge to second the recommendation of this formula. I've used both 60-100 and -100 MgAl and achieved a wide variety of most excellent crackling effects with it.

Usually I bind with NC but have tried other binders too. It's a forgiving and highly tuneable formula, and low on Bismuth :)

Yeah I forgot to mention to bind with NC lacquer, but I think that is what most people use.

I have had good luck using smokeless reloading powder because it is easy to get. I usually use Bullseye which is double base with about 40 percent nitro.

I shoot for about 3 to 4 mm cubes. The entire egg should glow red after ignition for about 1.5 s then explode in one loud explosion. This is controlled by the particle size of the MgAl. If it glows longer, or glows and doesnt explode it needs finer (smaller) MgAl. If one egg makes multiple crackles or a small piece pops and leaves a big chunk unreacted, it needs bigger particle size MgAl.