APC Forum

My home made dragon egg`s

lokys

Indeed it does act as an oxidizer. The boom comes from the local rapid expansion of gases.

3 CuO + 2 Al ---> 3 Cu + Al2O3

Statements can only be trusted as much as the person saying them. You may want to start providing some rationale or evidence to some of these yet unsubstantiated claims and statements.

If you shoot as much as I do it can be cheap. I always use fresh cartridges. I pay for a carton containing 5 boxes of #6 Remington express. Each box contains 24 cartridges. Most of the cartridges I use for shooting. The carton costs me around $100. Each cartridge contains 7.19 grains of powder. To make a 3.5 ounce lacquer I need the contents of 2 cartridges, or about one gram. I also have pellets that can be used for the centers of stars. True, I could just buy the powder. Maybe your right. Buying the powder for my pyro needs may be cheaper. By how much?

???

I have 2 shotguns so I always have spare cartridges around. That is one of the reasons I use them....convenience.

But!...next time I go to the gun store I am gonna do as you suggested, buy the powder. Lol..truth is the cartridges are not that easy to open and many a nail I have broken doing so!

So, you're paying $100 for approximatly 60g of NC. So, you're paying $800 per pound. You may want to check on the going rate of smokeless powders. I'm sure you could find someone to sell you some at the great deal of only $650 per pound.

Anyone who has ever successfully made dragon eggs can tell you are completely full of it from this post by the way.

Just a heads up Anyka- you might want to change the color of those to green or something besides red. Traditionally, cherry bombs were red and about the same size as you suggest. You'll never find a commerical grade firework "crackling ball" for ground effects that is red.

Don't want to get in trouble over a misunderstanding... "Why no officer, this red ball device isn't an illegal ground salute- here, let me light one for you to prove it."

Anyka- please understand one thing, you said:

"The "key" to getting them really loud is to have them become infused with nitroglycerin . Use a double base smokeless powder as your solvend."

Nitroglycerin is a high explosive and has NO PLACE in neither recreational nor professional pyrotechnics. Pyrotechnics is about deflagration not initiation. The fact you continually disregard everyone's advice and throw caution to wind is not the makings of a trustworthy pyrotechnician.

Look at your post count! I've been on here for 4 years and you've past me, and other new folks here might be tempted to disassemble firearm rounds for the powder- are you honestly thinking these things through before you post them up?

I have NOT POSTED many items of a pyrotechnic nature because there are simply too many variables to cover in text. Do you feel you have been thorough enough?

Anyka- please understand one thing, you said:

"The "key" to getting them really loud is to have them become infused with nitroglycerin . Use a double base smokeless powder as your solvend."

Nitroglycerin is a high explosive and has NO PLACE in neither recreational nor professional pyrotechnics. Pyrotechnics is about deflagration not initiation. The fact you continually disregard everyone's advice and throw caution to wind is not the makings of a trustworthy pyrotechnician.

Look at your post count! I've been on here for 4 years and you've past me, and other new folks here might be tempted to disassemble firearm rounds for the powder- are you honestly thinking these things through before you post them up?

I have NOT POSTED many items of a pyrotechnic nature because there are simply too many variables to cover in text. Do you feel you have been thorough enough?

many people use double bass smokeless in place of pure NC in "NC lacquer" it has been stabilised and behaves very similarly to plain old NC though it would probably not be safe if you were to poor some home made NG into the comp

anyka. In this field you HAVE to know the terminology before giving ANY advice. When something goes wrong it does so VERY quick! I noticed in one of your posts you mentioned Magnesium and Boric Acid, then corrected your self, saying Magnalium...If someone tried this there is the chance an accident could have accured!

I'v been practicing the art for around 6 years now, and I'm still asking questions. I ONLY give advice one subjects that I know and have done extensive testing on. Hell, I'll be needing some advice from the 'Top can shell' guys on here for a 3" Farfella W/BS I'm building......Why? Because it's new to me.

Dean

Edited by portfire

Anyka, tell ya what, just continue as you are by posting as much junk as you wish and pretending that you are the only one that knows anything about pyrotechnics. Hopefully we can catch the new folks before they think your methods are actual pyrotechnic procedures and let them know that you are just another K3wl trying to fill a space with errant, flamboyant and voluminous posts.

Or even better, maybe mumbles or SW will move your ramblings to a unique thread so there are less off-topic rants that go nowhere.

Cheers-

You would like that.

Huh?

I have received a number of PM's that would not like that.

No actually, I wouldn't like it at all. I would rather you post things that make sense. The reply above where you expounded on the use on nitroglycerin in double base smokeless powder was excellent! Give us more posts like that, just be prepared to back up your claims with a little more than incomplete sentences, dangerous procedures, and re-posts off topic.

Please, feel free to suggest that the authors of the many private messages contact me. I am very interested. I have thus far received or seen zero compliments regarding you and your projects, only concerns and complaints. I would be interested to see which side has a bigger base. I know which side is more vocal at least.

Mixing up magnesium and magnalium is a BIG mistake. The kind of mistake that can cause the loss of life.

Anyka, you may also want to think about something. Yes, in double base smokeless powders, the NG is stabilized within the nitrocellulose. You're talking about dissolving it however. It is not designed or engineered to be dissolved. You should know that this is no longer smokeless powder. Upon evaporation it is a real and documented possibility that the nitroglycerine and NC can separate. There are stories published about making dragon eggs with DBSP, and ending up with a pool of NG at the bottom of the bowl. With your masters in chemistry you should be aware of preferential separation and precipitation when recovering materials from solution.

I really suggest you revisit your techniques, and talk with others who have a good knowledge of the hobby and devices you are making. They will be able to point out potential pitfalls and places improvements can be made.

I will post the same reply here as I do in a PM so there is no confusion.

Anyka,

I can handle you taking me on, you can take on all of the posters and even post untested comps but when you take on the Moderators, I draw the line. The Amish have a way to deal with trouble makers, they are shunned.

One more outburst at either Mumbles or Sidewinder and I will post a request to shun you. That means NO reaction to any postings a total blocking of PMs and the end of any responses from the collective here.

I may not be everyone's buddy here but I think I have added enough to the collective to be heard so I believe that I can pull this off. All you old snorts, please PM me if you will support this imitative so we can be rid of this issue and get back to amateur pyrotechnics.

Dave

Anyka, do you have ANY idea what you're talking about? You really need to review the laws. 50mg is what governs commercial class C firecrackers. Your devices are not being approved by the CPSC or being sold commercially are they? If not your 48mg devices are just as illegal as a 48g device.

Anyka, you may also want to think about something. Yes, in double base smokeless powders, the NG is stabilized within the nitrocellulose. You're talking about dissolving it however. It is not designed or engineered to be dissolved. You should know that this is no longer smokeless powder. Upon evaporation it is a real and documented possibility that the nitroglycerine and NC can separate. There are stories published about making dragon eggs with DBSP, and ending up with a pool of NG at the bottom of the bowl. With your masters in chemistry you should be aware of preferential separation and precipitation when recovering materials from solution.

I bolded the appropriate parts of my post that you glanced over. I never said anything about the NG pooling during manufacture of the NC lacquer. I said it can during the the evaporation. You know, the loss of solvent via vaporization to the surrounding environment.

With that said. I can't think of anyone going to a "silent" fireworks display and not be disappointed. We all like the flash and thunder. However since 1966 shooting off anything with more than 50mg of flash is a felony.

This is bullshit.

Personally, I have never seen those "bombs" of old..the cherry bomb,ashcan,M-80.

Now my DE are very loud. But not as loud as I would like them. I came up with a legal correction that I have been using for years. Even on the public beach which has many police, I was never bothered.

Definitely not legal. Enforcement and legallity are two different things

-

I have made a little cardboard ladle that measures out exactly 48 grams of flash. I use a triple beam Ohaus scale; a very accurate one.

-

**If you are new to this hobby wait till you become a bit more experienced before doing this.*

Then why are you making it? I also hope you mean miligrams. Additionally no triple beam Ohaus scale has the readability to measure 48mg so that additionally is bullshit. I invite you to show me the triple beam accurate enough to measure 48mg. http://us.ohaus.com/us/en/home/products.aspx

-

You can make 100 of these little DE+'s, as they are quickly made.

To speed up the process, make a scoop or a ladel that always measures out the correct amount.

-

Make tiny portions of 70/30 flash [if you are experienced you know what I mean and know the diaper method] You do not need to make a large portion.

These are definitely not dragon eggs, rather miniature poor salutes.

Anyway, it is always safer to make it in tiny amounts.

Again, more bull shit. The safest way is one batch for all you will need.

Do it on a rainy day where the humidity is high. Me? I live on an island where it is always humid.

Cut kitchen napkins into 2in. by 2 in. sizes.

l

Lay them out upon a large area, spaced out from each other..

Carefully fill each with 48mg of the flash [ i say 48 to be on the safe side]

Lay a 1.5 fuse to each.

Carefully wrap each one up with just a tip of fuse showing.

Glue them up.

Done-

-

These are NOT meant to be hand lit..!!!!excl.gif

-

Use them in shells.mines, or as a grand finale of a gerb-fountain...If you put them into the fountain at the beginning they are likely to burst the fountain.

They are quite loud..legal.and safe. [i had the misfortune of one of them blowing off in my hand,,and it really did it hurt! But, no damage done, just a bad sting that hurt for 30 minutes.]

This last part is probably the biggest portion of bullshit in the entire post. You definitely mean to be hand lighting them, you're making ground salutes. You're only using a napkin as a casing. Additionally, you're using 1.5" of fuse, which will give somewhere on the order of 4.5 seconds. If you can explain to me how this would survive the break of a shell, the lift of a mine, or the inside of a fountain and the fuse provides an appropriate delay for any of these devices I will leave you alone forever and take everything you say as true. If not, you're once again giving instructions for making ground salutes, and you're banned.

-

Remember! Over 50mg and you are in big trouble....I use 48mg to stay safe.

Store unused ones in a paper bag with some rice hulls.

Remember, this is still bullshit.

If I may be so bold as to add to Mumbles statement.

According to the BATFE, Clacc-C fireworks are given approval by the CPSC for use by the public.

ANYTHING you make in regards to pyro is automatically and minimally 1.3G designated for argument purposes. By federal law, they must be stored according to BATFE rules.

It makes no difference whether or not one were to use 40mg or 4k, it's all 1.3G.

I will make the statement here that you all would be best served to completely ignore Ankya and her advice, it is untrue and in some cases, dangerous.

Seriously now guys, how much more of this bullshit are you going to take? It's obvious you can't change the stripes on a zebra. And not only that, a potential risk and danger to the newcomer's who take her advice.unsure2.gif

Thanks honey, I know, got owned and learned my lesson from the boys, instead of looking for dirt on people like flies to shit,why don't you spend your time wisely and read up on how to make BP, stars,shells, fountains, cakes,and rockets. I would love to see a video of some of your work.

Easy...if you really want to hear me out.

1. Just about ALL the members on here are breaking the law. There are only [ I think} 3 states that allow aerials and rockets. Question?..Do you address all the members that give instructions for making bottle rockets?..they are illegal in over 45 states.

I love it when people do this. OK, lets start here:

Legalities: The BATFE does NOT consider it illegal to make or use explosives on your property. Please read the Orange Book. The announcement that rockets are illegal in over 45 states is only partially correct. In 24 hours, over 3000 people, as young as 8 years old will be making explosives legally in a state where most of the safe and sane fireworks are not allowed for public use.

2. The fuse used burns at 1.5 seconds.. I should have put that in. They are NOT designed to be ground salutes. They would explode as soon as you lit it practically!

3. Take a common fire-cracker..one made commercially...and let it blow off as you hold it. [as a little kid we would play "dare" and that was one of them]..oh, it will hurt like h*ll, maybe even become numb for a time...but!..no damage.

Firecrackers have (commercial ones at least) have no more then 50mg of flash in them. This said, firecrackers will in fact brake bones and part skin. The brisisnce of flash that is contained can tear metal, tear flesh and the pressure wave through flesh can cause bone to crack and sometimes break. The CPSC has data and pictures showing the damage form a single firecracker.

4. My scale is accurate to grains...Get a catalogue of Oahus scales. Mine is top of the line. I could not find my model but here is a less accurate one

Ohaus 710-T0 610 G X 0.1 G Triple Beam Balance

Right from Oahus, Readability (metric): 0.1 g / 0.1 g. For those with doctorates, that is 1/10th of a gram and has no grain scale.

by Ohaus

5. I have those tiny popper stored in the way I suggested for years. Go into a fireworks store. You think their fireworks were all made last night?

No, course not. Storing fireworks is something every pyro hobbyist should learn how to do safely. My method is safe..You know it.

6. I am not going to bother making anymore posts.

WH00T!! Can we get back to making fireworks and stop playing games?

Everything is always flawed. I read others and I ???. How you allow them, and come down hard on me.

And as to your accusation of circumventing this site using my friend Ushie, well, that is ridiculous. In minutes I can alter my IP if I so needed to, or chose to. I will just keep what I know for myself and friends. I have been making devices for 10 years and neither got hurt nor in trouble with he law.

I know just how far to push the envelop.

Oh, you aint kidding! If you could get past the idea that you are a rank n00b with no real knowledge and only perfunctory book knowledge from copy/paste sites with no idea of how to actually make and use the stuff, you would have been welcome with open arms. You came in here and opened by lying, lying to cover your past lies, lied to cover the lies you said to cover the ones you made to cover the first lies you told. We all like women here. We don't like YOU.

It's YOU that has made these problems, it is YOU that has challenged the moderators, it was YOU that decided to not be moderate and passed on information that was just not truthful.

When everyone on the freeway is going the wrong way you need to stop and pull over because it is YOU that is going the wrong way.

LLL

ps. the 45g mistake was harmless. It was not instructed to be put into the poppers.

Ich kann nicht diese gesperäch verstanden! Varum mussen wir so argumentieren, und anderen ängeren?

Auch- typisch, ien hedge fund nutzt nur einen markt? Anyka, mein liebe frau, hast du ein vogel? :blink:

...or rather...why the hell is this going on? One good reason even?

Edited by jwitt

You know? I was going to post a lengthy reply but instead I will post a quote.

“Baby, just shake the dust off your feet.”

-Dr. Carolyn -

Well, I just have to someday figure out your prophetic statement..

-

"Life only demands from the strenght you possess."

Anyone, please explain this. It is not even a sentence!

2wacko.gif

These are the kind of phrases that my schizophrenic patients used to say to me.

Really!

-

Please, and these people are using.....dangerous substances<>

God.....How is this so?

Anyka, I have no words for you.You are way to far gone in coo-coo land. I feel sorry for the guy who encounters you to start a family. I have only 2 words for you, SEEK HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Admins. please feel free to do a site maintanance.

:whistle:

Has anyone done any microstars or dragon eggs in fountains lately? Heard something today at work that made me think a bit.

Could DE's be safely added or reformulated to work in Clark's giant steel fountain? I believe a 15 foot spike of crackling, branching sparks could "steal" the show... oh ho! :knee-slap: that's a good one!

Anyone care to postulate some ideas on that?