136 replies to this topic

#41 Gunzway

Gunzway

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:20 AM

No, I meant calcium carbonate. It is put into something a rat would eat. It then binds the rat's intestines. The rat dies because it can not eliminate its feces. It is non toxic; so it presents no harm to humans. Barium presents a health hazard to humans.
Calcium carbonate acts as a neutralizer and as a colour agent. I have used it a lot because I can purchase it for a very cheap price.
If you read some of my messages; you may be able to save a lot of money purchasing pyro-products.
I hate to waste money.
Stay safe
Anyka
LLL

Prove it with a source or a reference that CaCO3 is used as a rat poison, because I cannot find anything on it. What's your point about barium posing a health hazard to humans? It's still an ingredient of some rat poisons, it's not my decision. I'm just starting the facts here, Anyka. About calcium carbonate being used in pyrotechnics, it's not used very much. It's used in the Veline colour system and some other orange formulae, some adhesive compositions but you're not getting too much further than that (See: Passfire formula base). Nor is it exclusively needed for anything, you can make do without it quite easily. It would one of the last items on my list of chemical acquisition.

Since you love to talk about saving money and purchasing chemicals useful for pyrotechnics for cheaper prices at non-pyro vendors, I thought I'll let you know there's better/cheaper places to obtain CaCO3. You can acquire it from chalk, from pharmacies, from garden supply houses and it's used in antacids. (See: Perigrin, Tom. Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics).
You can also purchase it for some ridiculously low price from a ceramic shop. Much cheaper than you'll ever find it as a poison (if that's even the case).

#42 Ralph

Ralph

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

No, I meant calcium carbonate. It is put into something a rat would eat. It then binds the rat's intestines. The rat dies because it can not eliminate its feces. It is non toxic; so it presents no harm to humans. Barium presents a health hazard to humans.
Calcium carbonate acts as a neutralizer and as a colour agent. I have used it a lot because I can purchase it for a very cheap price.
If you read some of my messages; you may be able to save a lot of money purchasing pyro-products.
I hate to waste money.
Stay safe
Anyka
LLL

I know for a fact that barium compounds are used as rat poison generally barium carbonate which reacts with the hydrochloric acid in their stomach forming barium chloride. a similar reaction would occur with calcium were the calcium carbonate would form calcium chloride which would be easily expelled through the rats kidneys. why are we talking about biological functions of a rat on a pyrotechnic forum Im not sure
The day you willing put a price on another man's life, is the day you sell your soul

Im blunt, so don't get all cut up when I tell it like it is

#43 Pretty green flame

Pretty green flame

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Calcium carbonate as rat poison, funny. If anything, it could be used as a filler in rat poison pellets but I doubt even that. The only thing connecting rats poison and calcium is Hypercalcemia but that's due to Vitamin D derivates causing calcium levels to rise and disrupt blood flow and cause other nasty things (Calcium compounds forms a crust in the veins and breathing paths). CaCO3 will not do this.
Does this unit have a soul?

#44 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Calcium carbonate can be toxic. If it neutralizes all the acid in your stomach it can go and cause blockages as Anyka suggested. That being said it seems quite unlikely to be used as a rodenticide. I couldn't find any product using it as an active ingredient. It also doesn't explain why all the mice in my house didn't die when they got into my antacids one time.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#45 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

OK, I just cleaned out more offtopic crap than I've had to in ages.

Everyone chill out. When you've done so, continue this thread. Keep things on-topic, avoid posting the same thing over and over, and no more personal attacks.

Failure to do so will earn continuing violators a short "vacation". Capiche?

Thank you.
program: n: a magic spell cast upon computers, which turns user input into error messages. v: A pastime akin to beating one's head against a wall, but with fewer rewards and less personal satisfaction.

#46 dagabu

dagabu

Grandmaster

• Donator
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Are current commercial dragon eggs made with lead or bismuth?
Dave

PGI Member http://www.pgi.org
IPA Member http://www.iowapyro.com

"The art of fire is indeed the supreme art; for fire is at once the universal slave, the universal master."

#47 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Given that the come from China, my money would be on lead. I think most domestically manufactured dragon eggs are bismuth though.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#48 jimbo

jimbo

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:hunting,pyro,motorbikes,chryslers and my dog molly

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I've just made my best batch of dragons eggs yet,37.5 bismuth trioxide,37.5 copper oxide black,25 200mesh magnalium and I used exactly one 7.62x39 ex military ammo worth of smokeless powder for my n.c laquer per 10grams of d.e,works way better than any batch I made with pingpong ball n.c laquer,btw I like chicks who own guns and make fireworks
katters australia party

#49 Twotails

Twotails

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

So, for a sucessful D.E to work it needs: A metal Oxide, a higher activity metal(?), O2(released with the hot burn phase, used by the Al?) Some kind of fule to help build, and sustaine a "cooler" burn, and a few other kinks thrown into the works. Anyone have a formula(or idea) of one that dosent contain Lead, or Bismuth? I have made eggs with 60mesh MgAl, and like the results(both using copper oxide, and "regular" virson with lead) sharp, loud, but not easly lit(a nice thick coating of prime solves that) I would like just see what odd, or unique formulas there are, seeing as the Sb ones i made didnt work.
"Life improves slowly and goes wrong fast, and only catastrophe is clearly visible." Edward Teller

#50 Ralph

Ralph

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

I've just made my best batch of dragons eggs yet,37.5 bismuth trioxide,37.5 copper oxide black,25 200mesh magnalium and I used exactly one 7.62x39 ex military ammo worth of smokeless powder for my n.c laquer per 10grams of d.e,works way better than any batch I made with pingpong ball n.c laquer,btw I like chicks who own guns and make fireworks

so they worked well with 50 50 CuO to Bi2O3 ? never heard of that before
The day you willing put a price on another man's life, is the day you sell your soul

Im blunt, so don't get all cut up when I tell it like it is

#51 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:12 AM

I just had to unapprove more posts. A couple people are about to earn a vacation.

Use the "Report" button when you feel a post needs removal, is offtopic, inappropriate, or whatever. Then leave the moderating to the moderators.

Do not continue this post unless it directly addresses the topic and questions asked. Last warning.
program: n: a magic spell cast upon computers, which turns user input into error messages. v: A pastime akin to beating one's head against a wall, but with fewer rewards and less personal satisfaction.

#52 jimbo

jimbo

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:hunting,pyro,motorbikes,chryslers and my dog molly

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:54 AM

"so they worked well with 50 50 CuO to Bi2O3? never heard of that before" I got this composition off one of the american pyro sites can't remember which one, but they're the loudest Ive ever made, I tried the pyroguide method again with the same n.c laquer as my good ones and still they're crap, the new ones I made have what I would consider a sharp crack the other ones just poof and fizzle a bit.
katters australia party

#53 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

I've seen that composition before. I've never tried it, but I've heard good results. I bet a similar thing could be done with red lead.

Dragon egg oxides seem to have a special quality, in that they are able to be partly reduced (or at least the oxidizer combo), and they are quite dense/heavy. I've been interested in trying Tin (IV) Oxide and antimony trioxide as an alternative.

From others, they state that the key to get them to work is to really load them up with NC lacquer, 4-6% NC solids by weight at the end.

#54 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Well, we'll see you in 2 weeks Anyka. You'll still be able to read here, but wont be allowed to post anywhere.

Really, children love them? You've got to be kidding me.

#55 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

Mumbles,

I think Anyka was referring to children enjoying the loud crackle effect, not children being given the devices to light themselves.

#56 Cookieman

Cookieman

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry,Pyrotechnics,Rocketry, playing electric guitar, Auto Racing, Martial Arts, High Explosives,Automotive mechanics, Cooking,Computers.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

-
The image of Anyka encourging children to use fireworks without adult supervision, and her message that her device is easily portable being construed or at least leaving a reader the idea she would be in anyway involved in a terorist assault, both leave me with serious questions.
- Posted Image -

Anyka,

I don't know who your fooling but you, my dear, have a serious case of Schizophrenia and the prognosis does not look good for you.Posted Image
"Life only demands from you the strength you possess. Only one feat is possible - not to have run away." -Dag Hammarskjold-

Cookie

#57 Gunzway

Gunzway

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

Anyka,

I don't know who your fooling but you, my dear, have a serious case of Schizophrenia and the prognosis does not look good for you.Posted Image

Schizophrenia being classified as two distinct different personalities is a common misconception. Schizophrenia is not dissociative identity disorder (or multiple personality disorder); they are both different. Just something I thought you would like to know, since the majority of people think otherwise. Google it for more information :). Whatever she has, it's pretty serious. I'm not going to comment any more as I seem to be the bad guy for it.

In Anyka's procedure, she fails to stress the toxicity of red lead. She mentions latex gloves but nothing to do with the dangers of breathing it and other exposure. I'm not even sure if latex gloves are a good idea either, whether it will withstand the acetone in the NC lacquer. I frankly would be very reluctant with following any procedures that Anyka provides.

#58 Cookieman

Cookieman

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry,Pyrotechnics,Rocketry, playing electric guitar, Auto Racing, Martial Arts, High Explosives,Automotive mechanics, Cooking,Computers.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Schizophrenia being classified as two distinct different personalities is a common misconception. Schizophrenia is not dissociative identity disorder (or multiple personality disorder); they are both different. Just something I thought you would like to know, since the majority of people think otherwise. Google it for more information Posted Image. Whatever she has, it's pretty serious. I'm not going to comment any more as I seem to be the bad guy for it.

In Anyka's procedure, she fails to stress the toxicity of red lead. She mentions latex gloves but nothing to do with the dangers of breathing it and other exposure. I'm not even sure if latex gloves are a good idea either, whether it will withstand the acetone in the NC lacquer. I frankly would be very reluctant with following any procedures that Anyka provides.

Nice to have you back Gunzway!!Posted Image
"Life only demands from you the strength you possess. Only one feat is possible - not to have run away." -Dag Hammarskjold-

Cookie

#59 Ushie

Ushie

Smelt the smoke

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Right now my interests are focused upon doing well in college.
    And, fireworks, of course.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Anyka,

Who are you?

Allow me to draw your attention to some facts.
The first one is that you are certainly NOT on topic.[sic]
Secondly, you are NOT a person showing knowledge of what symptoms a person suffering from schizophrenia would exhibit. I may only be 19, but it is obvious you like to play "doctor." Why are you making pretend?

If you want to turn this site into a medical one; I think, you should ask permission first!

If you have a true interest in what the symptoms of the disease are, and its forms; ask Anyka if you ever message her again.
She has an M.D. in Psychiatry, and before changing jobs, had her own practice for a few years.
Perhaps a poem she wrote and sent to me to use as I wish will offer you a glimpse into the world of a schizophrenic.
I would not use any part of the poem without her permission; it is protected by copyright laws.
Also,should you message me again; please do not wander off the topic.
Ushie Mayna
Posted Image

Also, some constructive criticism; learn how to correctly construct sentences.

Incorrect:
I don't know who your ( you used the possessive form of the pronoun "you"- when you needed to use the contraction for you are (you're) fooling(comma precedes the conjunction) but (semi-colon needed to connect the two thoughts of your sentence)you, my dear,(no comma) have a serious case of(lower case "s" "schizophrenia" is not a proper noun. Schizophrenia-- and the progress does not look good for you.--
too verbose--

Correct:
I don't know who you are fooling, but, you; my dear have a serious case of schizophrenia which has a bad outlook.

Your message was inappropriate, and had malicious intent.

#60 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

I am sick of all this bullshit. You're not tricking anyone. "Ushie" you're banned. Anyka, you're ban has been doubled. Try to circumvent it again, and you're banned for good and we're reporting your IP address and e-mail address to Invision as spammer which means you'll be banned from every forum on the internet that uses the software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users