Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:27 AM

hello!

This is my home made dragon egg`s

And here is my star mine D1 Glitter to D.Eggs :

http://www.youtube.c...u/1/MlCancj-fvA

Edited by lokys, 24 November 2009 - 05:02 AM.

#2 Karlos

Karlos

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:50 AM

What about technology.... NC? small cut?

Edited by Karlos, 24 November 2009 - 05:51 AM.

#3 lokys

lokys

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

Yes, I used home made NC (acetone and Ping Pong balls (table tennis)) ..

I'm just pushed composition during 10 mesh net.
understand ? :)
I primed stars with greenmix + 4% Al flake (600mesh)

in real, eggs explodes wery loud.

Sorry my english is not wery well, if you have any questions, ask, i'll try to answer.

Edited by lokys, 24 November 2009 - 10:03 AM.

#4 Karlos

Karlos

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:15 AM

What about another binder than NC? Maybe, small cut stars 3 mm will work better. Acetone evaporate from composition wery guick, and composition is brittle.
I tryed 5% of resin and alcohol and composition crackled too. Maybe red gum can be good binder too.....or not?

#5 lokys

lokys

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:13 AM

I don`t know, i just tryed NC.. In tutorial ,which I used, was written that like binder need NC..
i haven`t try any others binders.. and red gum is more expensive than NC ..

I never had tryed ,, cut stars technology'' . maybe it would be better.. but for me enough my technology :)

#6 PyroMan LTU

PyroMan LTU

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

Karlos, they shouldn crack when acetone evaporates. I never tried them, but if so, then try higher consentration of NC paste. And I believe there is no need to make DE big such as 3 mm cut, since they crack very loudly if even if they're small so I dont know if it is nessesery to make them big.

PyroMan ^_^

#7 Karlos

Karlos

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:53 AM

Pyroman: maybe yes. I hawe been interested(not lot ago) in rain willow from China. I thought, that stras are made from special composition. Just I know, that contain crackling granules, because i seen many videos and special one, with green crackling palm. Really, this is black powder formula with crackling microstars, but I dont know how(size) od granules and percentage in stars. Perfect 6' shell pyroman! nice crackles.

#8 PyroMan LTU

PyroMan LTU

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hey, thanks ;) Yes - those are some nice crackling stars, when I get my Pb3O4, I will try them in diffrent combinations. Then, I will be able to say sth about them... Good luck!

PyroMan ^_^

#9 Zmuro

Zmuro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

Which formula did you use?

#10 rjogden

rjogden

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

Maybe, small cut stars 3 mm will work better.

For Dragon's Eggs, smaller is better. The whole particle rarely explodes if you make it larger, though sometimes I have gotten a multiple pop from a single larger particle.

#11 lokys

lokys

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

Which formula did you use?

Pb3O4.............................................81.8
Mgal 200mesh                 ...................9.1
CuO               ...................................9.1

#12 Yafmot

Yafmot

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:26 AM

I'm kinda' short on Mg right now, so I'm wondering if maybe I could get by with Al. The closest I've seen in any literature is Magnalium, and I've gotten that to work just fine, but nothing was said about just Aluminum. They didn't say you couldn't, they were just silent on the subject. Also, I've only used Bi2O3. I've already been exposed to enough heavy metals in my lifetime.

The only Al I have right now is about 5 micron dark stuff. The MgAl I was using was about 160-200 mesh, IIRC. I seem to recall something about particle size being a critical factor. I know that the actual size of the microstars is best kept around one to two mm, and I think I have a pretty solid theory about why. If the stars are too big, you're just wasting comp, because one zone of the mass will heat up faster than another, and only the portions which have reached that critical temperature will actually react. The rest just goes flying off.

If a way to heat a large quantity of the comp isothermally could be found, it would be interesting to try, just to see if a correspondingly bigger reaction would result. I think slow heating to the critical temp would probably be a little more controllable, as well as a little more measurable. Just dumping BTUs into it probably won't tell too much. Flash or thermite definitely have the caloric value, but would be like killing a roach with a grenade in an application like this. Some kind of heated pressure vessel with some really fine thermal control.

Just a couple of thoughts.

#13 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,628 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

Stars upwards of 1/4" can be made of dragon egg composition if you take care in selecting formula, mixing, and priming. You are right about the MgAl particle size, it plays a critical role. With the MgAl you have 1-2mm is the max, but with 60 mesh MgAl, you can approach 1/4" like I said before. I like to think of it as the the reaction outruns the delay. With too large of stars, you will get a sizzling, as the broken off pieces complete the reaction.

I don't know if straight Al or Mg will work. I have heard that 70/30 Al/Mg is ideal for this composition. Others (mike swisher), have stated that the alloy is required for the reaction. Mg smoulders with the oxide, and the Al gives the thermitic explosive reaction. This raises several questions in my mind, but I will accept it for the time being. Namely, why would the more reactive metal only smoulder, as the less reactive metal reacts explosively. Even if it is the Al providing the smoulder, why would the less reactive metal react first?

I proposed a question to him about intermediate oxidation states. All of the common materials, Pb3O4, Bi2O3, and CuO, have intermediate quasi-stable oxidation states between the oxide and free metal. Mr. Swisher claimed, a successful reaction was possible with litharge, the intermediate state I had in mind. Given this fact, it should in theory be possible to make eggs from only a pure metal.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#14 gordohigh

gordohigh

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

Yafmot, there is a thread on here about making your own magnalium by melting scrap alu and mag. Once you have yielded the ingot from your melt, it breaks up like glass and is fairly fast to mill in a ball mill. Just be sure to use a seperate container and milling media so as to not contaminate any of your other chems.

The pyroguide formula I used for making bismuth dragons eggs actually called for +5% alu powder and I can attest to how well that formula works, although I haven't tried any in a shell yet so I'm not sure of how well they will light. I was thinking about maybe using some silicon powder in my prime but need to research that some more.

As far as the size of these little jewels, I pressed mine thru a 14 mesh screen but the commercial ones I have in some crackling fuse were round, as if they were rolled. They are smaller than a BB but I was amazed at how consistant the size was and again, they were perfectly round. I'm sure they screened them for the size but I wonder what they used for a core to roll them. (thinking out loud)

#15 due559

due559

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

Has anyone ever tried making dragon eggs with 325 mesh mg/al? Is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

EDIT: Scratch that, found out a lot at http://www.creagan.n...ragonseggs.html

Edited by due559, 20 March 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#16 50AE

50AE

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

I have and they didn't work for me. They just smouldered and popped, without a bang.

#17 due559

due559

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Which dragon egg composition did you use?

#18 50AE

50AE

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

I tried two compositions, the one had only Pb3O4 and MgAl, the second had also copper oxide. They were binded with a dinitrocellulose in acetone solution.

#19 Pyro09

Pyro09

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

Yesterday I made a batch of Pb3O4-Dragoneggs, and they are really loud! It is the composition which is listed at pyroguide.com (containing Kno3, CuO and S).
Does anybody know why dragon eggs explode so loudly? I can't imagine which chemical reaction leads to the loud cracks..

Would be nice to know!

#20 xetap

xetap

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

It's fairly common knowledge that magnalium 50/50 is the alloy preferred for making dragon eggs. Just Al or just Mg won't work- you will get a white star.

AFA mesh size of the magnalium, I've made eggs w/the finest magnalium I have- something on the order of 600 'mesh'. Mostly, there are more, closer spaced reports and the eggs are somewhat easier (quicker) to ignite.

The comp I use is:
Red lead............70
Magnalium.........17.5
CuO black..........12.5
Bound w/NC lacquer.

I'm going to make a small batch w/Mg and Al mixed 50/50 w/o alloying- just the two elements mixed by screening- to see how well (or IF) it works. IIRC, I read somewhere that it would work, but I'm fixing to see for myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users