APC Forum

Great Organic Blue

TheEskimo

Copper Carbonate makes better blues?? seriously?? I have not heard that before, nor experienced it. Which formulas do you suggest to be better?

• 11 months later...

Haveing a problem I fear with this one, now I still rather new to all this, but the last time I made a comp with parlon, it required accetone, it was the yankie KP purple, I had first

Made a small batch of the KP purple, and used water and alcohol to bind them.. End result was very crumbly, even after over a week of drying. I made a seccond batch using acetone, and them dudes where hard like rocks in two days and worked well ever since. So I decide to give this blue a try, and maby I'm doing something wrong, because in used water and alcohol again and pumped them yesterday, checked in on them this morning and they are looking alot like the crumbly Yankee KP purple, the blue comp has lots of parlon and redgum and from what I have heard this stuff should be sticky stuff, but for me it's rather crumbly.. I'm tempted to Just use acetone but would also like to know and understand why the water and alcohol isn't playing nice with me.. Any suggestions:)

I'm personally a fan of Pihko Blue:

Pihko KP #2

Potassium perchlorate 63

Black copper oxide 13

Parlon 14

Red gum 10

Haveing a problem I fear with this one, now I still rather new to all this, but the last time I made a comp with parlon, it required accetone, it was the yankie KP purple, I had first

Made a small batch of the KP purple, and used water and alcohol to bind them.. End result was very crumbly, even after over a week of drying. I made a seccond batch using acetone, and them dudes where hard like rocks in two days and worked well ever since. So I decide to give this blue a try, and maby I'm doing something wrong, because in used water and alcohol again and pumped them yesterday, checked in on them this morning and they are looking alot like the crumbly Yankee KP purple, the blue comp has lots of parlon and redgum and from what I have heard this stuff should be sticky stuff, but for me it's rather crumbly.. I'm tempted to Just use acetone but would also like to know and understand why the water and alcohol isn't playing nice with me.. Any suggestions:)

You would need to add a binder like 5% dextrin to bind with water. Or you could just use acetone, and screen slice em.

Edited by pyrojunkie

***slaps face, then apologizes star compound for the foul words I may have said about it's mother, for lack of binding*** next question then when I comes to adding this 5% dextrin am I corect in assuming that it's the 5% of the total weight on the comp? This might sound dumb I know but I would hate to always use acetone all the time.. And I would like to avoid another confessional, and apologizing to inanatiminate objects...

5% isn't set it stone, but it's pretty common. I've used compositions as low as 2 or 3%, and they still dried rock hard, or as high as probably 10%. If you have decent dextrin, and it's good and activated, you'll have no trouble using 5%.

If you were asking how to determine the 5%, yes, it is an additional 5% of the total composition weight. If your comp has 96 parts, you would add 4.8 parts dex for instance.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I've heard that the use of too much alchohol in a dextrin bound comp can actually hinder the binding process.

This all makes sence now, soo after work today I owe a little apolgy to mister pihko # 2 :) and a remixing tonight and some super exciting practice with my star pump:) thanks for the quick responses.. And even though I am rather new to this obsession And won't be a teaching tool to anyone in the near future, I'm not going anywhere and am a little ashamed to have gotten a tad excited and honored to get a response from mumbles:) hahaha

I'm flattered, but really just here to help. Plus the more people I can steer away from parlon bound stars, the more will hopefully see that it is economically viable to build the big shells :)

Haha I understand completely :) and once i get the hang of the smaller ones, big shells is what I look forward to the most:) thanks again for the help.. Now where did I pilot the dextrin.. Hmm :)

• 9 months later...

No, I haven't even tested it in a stargun yet. I don't know why, since it's a long time since I made the video. That is recorded from less than 10 meters, so I'd guess a pretty deep blue.

EDIT: Now I remember; they simply wouldn't ignite in the star gun. I see now that I have one left. Maybe if I'll try to dry it really good at low temperature in the oven and then priming it with Pinball prime.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

• 4 months later...

Oh, 4½ month since posting here. I tried the star that was left in my stargun. It didn't ignite, of course. <_<

Another seemingly great blue, that I have this far also just tested on the ground, is this one from Hardt:

Potassium chlorate 62

Copper(II)oxide 13

Parlon 11

Red gum 9

Dextrin 5

As you can see, this is in principle the chlorate version of Pihko KP Blue #2.