APC Forum

Cheap, easy obturator for spud guns

Yafmot

After a while, you get tired of potato juice & fragments squirting out every time you load up a tuber in your shiny, magnificent $9.00 spud launcher. You start thinking of ways to push other stuff out of it. That's what happened to me, so I started thinking about gas checks in shotgun shells, particularly the little discs they put behind slugs. Fear not, root shooters, for a cheap method of launching just about anything that will fit down the bore is at hand.

ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene) pipe is too rough on the inside. Same with PVC, to a lesser extent. So if you're shooting a 1 1/2" bore hardware store special, you'll probably have to do a little looking around for some like-sized clear acrylic tubing. Take about 18" of it and put several generous coats of PVA (Polyvinyl Alcojol) mold release inside it. Then mix up a small, quick batch of two part polyurethane foam and pour it down the upended tube before it kicks. Depending on the formulation & cure time, you may have to stick it in an oven or hit it with a hair dryer. You should only heat it up enough to accelerate the foam, since it doesn't take much to distort the acrylic tube.

After a couple of hours (maybe less, depending on your foam) you can use a broomstick or whatever to drive out a "loaf" of foam from the tube. Then you just cut it up into 1 1/2" lengths and there you go! Now you can shoot anything! Arrows, golf balls, the torso from your niece's Barbie doll, whatever! I know from firsthand observation that it will propel a graphite shaft, brodhead arrow a good 8 inches into the trunk of a 50 foot Sawtooth Palm from 40 feet away. And it'll send a golf ball on a suborbital trajectory. And that's just with MAPP gas! Just think of what it might do with an OA mix!

There are things you can do to make the seals reusable. A simple circle of woven fiberglass tape stuck on the back side will keep the hot gases from attacking the foam. Trust me, you're gonna' love this shit!

OA mixes should **never** be used in a plastic spud gun. The mixture can and does dentonate within a narrow range of mixtures. If you're unlucky enough to find that *magic* mix, the detonation shockwave will destroy the gun in your hands. It's not pretty when it happens. :(

• 1 month later...
Firing from the hip, I once took out a magpie atop a 60 foot cedar tree about 50 yards away. Big poof of feathers. Think we were using MAPP gas. Nice.

^ AHAHAHA... I would pay for a video of a magpie being shot with a spud cannon.

OA mixes should **never** be used in a plastic spud gun. The mixture can and does dentonate within a narrow range of mixtures. If you're unlucky enough to find that *magic* mix, the detonation shockwave will destroy the gun in your hands. It's not pretty when it happens. :(

Or a metal gun for that matter. And it doesn't necessarily take a magic mixture, acetylene on its own without oxygen to fuel it can become unstable and explosively decompose. A spike in pressure caused by combustion further down the chamber is certainly more than the stable limits of acetylene (~15-20psi).

Not a bad idea for sabots though.