APC Forum

Rocket competition submission

al93535

Here is my first 1 lb rocket with a header. It has a can and a ball shell atop the cored BP rocket.

The can hold 6 Ti whistles which end with a flash report. The ball has ruby red and win 20 glitter stars.

Prefiring picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/al93535/1lbrocket.jpg

Video:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/1lbdoublehead.wmv

The motor weighed 84 grams, and the head 240. With stick and everything the total weight is 336 grams.

Is this hammer presed or did you used press for this rocket?

by the way, the rocket is awsome!! I wish I could see it in person.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was beautiful! Very symetrical break.

How did you get the whistlers to spin? Were they like stingers?

Thanks!

No, the whistles were open ended. Just a plug, with whistle (mixed with ti) pressed into the tube. The whistle is very propulsive, and the formula I use is more for whistle rockets. So it work's out well for inserts.

Here is the post from skylighter... I add 10% 20-200 mesh Ti before I press the whistles.

Its the whistle rocket fuel in 8 hours article.

whistle.htm

• 3 months later...
Yes, the Al is consumed in the rocket engine itself. The Ti is neccesary for the tail, which is unfortunate. Perhaps a very large mesh Al would work. Unfortunatly most large mesh Al is flake. If you could find some 20 mesh granular Al, you may be able to pull it off. Maybe firefly.

Temperature. The melting point of aluminum is relatively low. The burning of the fuel causes the aluminum to melt and vaporise and be consumed in the rocket itself or very soon after being expelled. Titanium on the other hand has a relatively high melting point, so it is consumed less in the motor itself.

That was a great rocket el. I tired making a rocket with a 6 whistle to report head. Unfortunately I messed up the delay and made a giant lawn dart.

Great header Al. Perfect break