APC Forum

Lance work

Ralph

I have never done any real lance work and so was just wondering what compositions you guys like the best (would prefer chlorate baced comps)

Well, I'll have one chlorate based one i tried, and liked for red.

Red Lance

Strontium Nitrate - 66%

Potassium Chlorate - 25%

Red Gum - 9%

All chemicals should be as small as possable ( at least 100 mesh), screen it three times useing a 100 mesh screen, Wet wiith acetone untill it looks, and feels like brown sugar. screen through a 30 mesh screen, let dry. This could be used as a nice red star.

will do but im off for an amazing weekend starting now and ending sometime next week so wont be able to test it for a while

Sounds like a long weekend ^_^

oh it will be there is a small chance if it running all the way through till the 2nd of December no work no assignments life is awesome right now

Red Lance

Strontium Nitrate - 66%

Potassium Chlorate - 25%

Red Gum - 9%

Wouln't you need a chlorine donor and would that really work for stars?

perhapes you could replace 6% strontium nitrate with PVC or Shellac?

Edited by Updup

Many people do not find that adding a Chlorine donor to chlorate compositions is needed, as it seems that Potassium chlorate is effective, at least in part, in liberating it's chlorine.

Also, red does not NEED chlorine, like blue and green do. The colour is much better with chlorine, but it's also there without it.

That mixture looks very over-oxidised, supposedly to burn away lance tubes. While it may work as stars, it would be more sensible to use a composition designed for stars.

Thats true Seymour...

Normally Cl- donors make the flame much deeper and increase the flame envelope, though they make them much less illuminate. So I was thinking, what about pressing the comp. into lance casing made out of a Chlorine donor? Then you'd get the best of both worlds, a comp that is bright in the center, though the vaporized tube emits Cl- ions that make the outside look a deeper richer color.

Or am I just crazy? :wacko:

I do have formulas for Yellow, and White lances, but they use Perchlorate. The yellow was a PITA to get started, Left alot of molten slag behind, but was easly fixed with the addition of 30% Pot.Perchlorate. It uses Sodium chloride for the color, and works well, infact loose, like a powder, Almost looked like a mini volcano, possably from unburnt oxidizer, or the sodium chloride. I'll post the formulas if you want. but i'll keep looking for Chlorate based formulas to try(got some time on my hands) and if there any good, i'll post them.

That red did seems a little over-oxidesed to me, but it works great, The addition of a Cl doner is not needed, at least as far as useing in lances go's. I'll have a crack at reducing the amount, and genaraly fooling around with it, as soon as i order more Strontium nitrate.

I completely agree with seymour's opinion. In chlorate compositions shimizu or conkling (dont remember exactly) states that 2-3% of PVC is enough in the compositions. Red, however, has two spectrums emmited. One by vapourized SrCl particles and the other - SrOH. chloride particle gives a deep red, while hydrixide gives red-orange spectrum. In my chlorate compositions with 5% of PVC or parlon and get the best results.

And about over oxidising strntiom nitrate is not a very strong oxidiser practicaly it can only normaly burn with mg powder when it completely decomposes to SrO, N2, O2. Yet, the comp may be a bit over oxidised, I'd suggest trying sth like KClO3 - 40 Sr - 40 RGum - 20 or my posted comp above.

PyroMan ^_^

Edited by PyroMan LTU

I apologise. *corected* but how do they connect to each other? (sr + cl) Does anyone know what bond exists there while the particles are in the flame?