APC Forum

Estes Engines and Payload Sizes

WV-Pyro

I am going to make some aerial salutes and some other payloads to send up on some Estes engines. I was just curious about how much weight (in grams) do you think each engine size could send up a safe distance? Also, does anybody know the composition used in the engines? I would like to make some with that amount of power, or just simply reload them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Its BP with a ratio that is a bit off from 75:15:10. The ammount of a payload just depends on the thrust. Its more open to personal experimentation. I use C engines to take up a 5g salute. Here is a good tutorial.

http://krimzonpyro.com.ve.carpathiahost.ne.../skyrocket.html

Yea, I've read that tutorial. I need to take up about a 15-20 gram payload to a safe distance for some personal shows on the 4th. Think I should use a D engine? Also, can I can make some engines comparable to Estes by ramming pyrodex instead of KNO3/Sugar? Sounds easy enough.

you can always look on the estes web site for the stats on there motors

http://www.estesrockets.com/catalog_2006.pdf page 35

depending on how high you want it to go, we used a C 6-5 to lift a rocket about 150 feet or so with a total weight of about 100-115 or so grams

we also used a D 12-5 and got about 250-300 with 60 gram total weight

you can get a good idea if you know the total weight of your rocket by looking though the catalog and finding a rocket that is close to what your tring to lift and compair it to the max hight rating with the engines they requimend, it will give you a good starting point

The composition is NOT 6:1:1. It's similar, but not 6:1:1.

KNO3 - 71.79

C - 13.45

S - 13.81

Dextrin - .95

yeah cause someone didn't post that already......

They didnt. Compare the two links. Although they are on the same site, they are different. Think before acting like an ass hole.

Alright, thanks guys. I think I will be using a C6-5 for most of my work. Now that I have the composition, I will probably be making some of these in the near future. Thanks again.