APC Forum

Best Ti/FeTi grade for brocades?

AdmiralDonSnider

I´m a fan of brocade stars, although not too familiar with the formulas and production yet. I wondered what is the best particle size range of Ti/FeTi for use in brocades, i.e. which one gives the best, most elegant twinkling effect, delay, duration etc. Some formulas seem to call for titanium/ferrotitanium without specifying particle size.

Around here in Europe, a typical supplier offers sphercial and granular Ti, of which I assume the granular is better, in the following fractions: < 100 µ, 100-250µ, 225-450µ and 450-1000µ, with all the same prize, expensive as usual. The same supplier only sources one grade of FeTi, which is <250µ. Which grade is the best choice for brocades?

P.S. For the sake of understanding I must say that I´m referring to Brocade Willow stars mainly (Nishiki Kamuro), as there are numerous eastern Brocade stars based on excess aluminum solely.

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Of course, the larger the titanium, the longer the burning and the lower the density. The delay can increased by upping the sulfur, or even adding drossing agents (NaHCO3 ect).

I've had very good success with 40-60 mesh sponge Ti. 20-40 mesh gives a more grainy twinkly effect, but is not dense and has one of those hang times that hang until the ground, though no doubt the previously mentioned high sulfur and drossing agents contributed to that.

For brocades you'll need 15% Fe, 40% coarse (about 40 mesh) and 60% fine -100 mesh.

Are you sure you mean Fe, not FeTi? Or does coated iron give the same elegant sparks?

Or did the 15% refer to the iron contained in the alloy?

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

He will have to clarify the metal. In my experience steel or iron make a different, yet quite elegant effect.

I too the above message to mean 15% metal total containing 40% (6 parts total) 40 mesh, and 60% (8 parts total) -100 mesh.

I don't find very fine Ti or FeTi all that useful. The Ti I prefer uses primarily a -40+100 cut.