APC Forum

Long Stick Goes Boom

OneEyeCharlie

I finally got some video of my naval cannon being fired. In addition to the joy of gazing upon my wondrous visage, I graciously decided to subject you to a running commentary; courtesy of my children. Enjoy.

HST, you still out there?

Good clean fun

Hehehe... Nice! :{)

Good God, you almost took out that hammock! Thats a way to wake up the neighbourhood!

Good looking cannon anyway, did you buy it? And what was the charge?

Fortunately, my neighbors are fairly tolerant. I do try to exercise a bit of common sense as to the when and how often that I unloose the Wrath of God. I live near Lake Michigan. Occasionally in summer, we load the cannon into a wagon and trundle it up one of the bluffs that overlook the lake. It's something to behold; touching it off on a quiet summer eve as the sun sets. Once, a buddy was out trolling for salmon on an evening that I fired it. Apparently, the F word was unleashed multiple times by everyone in the boat :lol:

The charge shown was just over an ounce of Goex 1Fg. I usually alternate wet and dry wadding to get some good compression. Sometimes, I'll throw in a baggie of airfloat charcoal. It exponentially enlarges the fireball.

I inherited the cannon. Quite similar to some of those found at cannon-mania. The barrel and trunions were machined from a solid billet of steel. The barrel itself weighs 40 lbs.

Edited by OneEyeCharlie

• 1 month later...
snip...HST, you still out there?

Nice boom... bet that'd throw a hard ball quite a ways...

I haven't heard a peep from Dana for a while. :( We hade a good time at the Atlas fireworks show in Jaffery NH the year before last. Wonder where he's hiding?

So I log onto the APC for the first time in maybe 3 months and I discover that I'm fodder for discussion. First of all, I want to dispel the nagging rumor of my demise in the "toaster falls into the bathtub" incident. The truth is that my wife used too short an extension cord so her throw came up short and only lit my bathrobe on fire. Fortunately my Scotch and soda was heavily watered down so I was able to extinguish the blaze with minimal water damage or loss of Scotch.

The sad truth is that I haven't been pursuing any pyro/cannon interests of late as my free time has been taken up in other pursuits; logging, roofing, excavation (working side-jobs to make ends meet). Charlie, I have to download a new reader to watch your vid, so alas I can't comment on your cannon. You never disappoint, so I'm sure she rocks. I will get that done (sigh), eventually. Qwezxc12, I did zip past your corner of the world in November on my way to/from hunting. I didn't bother to stop by since 1) I was short on time and 2) you didn't invite me. Not that the lack of an invite has stopped me before, but the cards were in your favor this time. We should plan a technology shoot for this Summer. For those who don't know the term, Technology Shoot = doing violent harm to old computers/printers/cell phones/perhaps the odd automobiles, etc. Mans brutality to machine :D

Merry Christmas all. Remember, this years shiny new laptop will be 2014's target!

hst

snip... Qwezxc12, I did zip past your corner of the world in November on my way to/from hunting. I didn't bother to stop by since 1) I was short on time and 2) you didn't invite me. Not that the lack of an invite has stopped me before, but the cards were in your favor this time. We should plan a technology shoot for this Summer. For those who don't know the term, Technology Shoot = doing violent harm to old computers/printers/cell phones/perhaps the odd automobiles, etc. Mans brutality to machine

hst,

Don't ever let a lack of an explicit invitation stop you from saying hello if/when you pass through. I did a little shooting this fall (both kinds). I seem to be around a bit more these days...I changed gears at work over the summer; no longer doing the international TDYs. I'm working domestic airport construction mgt now, so my trips are 1-2 days stateside as opposed to months in places where yellow fever and typhoid are still lurking.

A technology shoot sounds fun. The 6-lobe crank on the 1919A4 is working pretty good... just remember a porcelain toilet is high technology to some, and therefor fair game :D

• 2 weeks later...
You didn't mention bore size, Charlie. I have some friends who shoot an old French 75 on the fourth and at other events. They use an old case that can quicly change primers. Uses about a pound of BP for general noisemaking.