APC Forum

How to detect salts in a mixture ?

50AE

I've made 100 grams of emerald green, but they burn with a bright flame, without the green color and I think I've maybe mistaken the barium nitrate with potassium nitrate, because I'm sure that I've added the chlorine donor and the stars doesn't seem to be so bright when burning.

Can you tell me a test from which I could tell if there is really barium in the composition ?

Edit : Sorry about the useless thread posting, I found out that there was no barium nitrate in the mixture, because I added sodium carbonate to a part of dissolved stars in water and there was no crystalization to barium carbonate. So I've mistaken, oh bad days.

Edited by 50AE

I think I've maybe mistaken the barium nitrate with potassium nitrate,

I'm sure that I've added the chlorine donor and the stars doesn't seem to be so bright when burning.

I think unless you really want to waste a lot of time and effort trying to determine your mistake(s), make a new batch. Mix each ingredient, maybe with a checklist as you add them.Test the new batch, if it's good, then blame the first one on wrong ingredients and toss it in the burn pile.

This is what I'll do, I'll mix a new batch. The problem is that parlon is very hard to find and I have only 400 grams of it left, so I try to save.

Hard to find? I'll check with a few of the supplyers i use, and see if they ship to your area. Any restrictions on parlon in your area? Im awaiting an email from one of them anyway, should get it soon. I know atleast one suppler that ships out there, not sure if they carry parlon though.

I ment hard to find locally, because here the currency is poor and it will cost me very much to buy just some bags of parlon by delivery.

This is what I'll do, I'll mix a new batch. The problem is that parlon is very hard to find and I have only 400 grams of it left, so I try to save.

A 10 gram batch is all you need to test.

I ment hard to find locally, because here the currency is poor and it will cost me very much to buy just some bags of parlon by delivery.

Hmm, How much do you need?, I might look into this direcly.

If i've understood the USPS correcly, shipping from here should be roghly, 15.9037 BGN not exeeding 4lbs(if that much parlon could be fit in that package) (roughly $12.20USD)

Edited by Twotails

If it's really 12USD from USA to Europe, that's perfect. I've been registering to websites were they wanted somethins like 30USD for shipping. Also, 4lbs is more than enough for me.

Bonny, everything's fine now. I know that the reason was the mistake with potassium nitrate instead of barium.

Edited by 50AE

That is standard "shove everything in one box" USPS special, its there new flatrate box. I'll see what i can do, wether i find a supplyer who will use it, or if i have to do it my self, Im sure i could find a way to get it to you.

I'll see if my supplyer ships there/what there price is first. Worse case scinario, I'll order some for me from a cheap supplyer and re-pack it in the flatrate box.

IIRC, a pound of parlon just about completely fills a 1quart ziplock bag.

It's mostly the hassle of the extra paperwork that make suppliers unwilling to ship chems overseas. The flat rate thing is new as well. They used to have flatrate envelopes with made books and paper no problem, but they offer no protection for chems. It may also be preferences toward one company. Most shipping places will give good discounts to frequent users, so it's hard to get them to use a different company, or use a different service from the same company.

The USPS flat-rate boxes and envelopes are a good deal. I was told by the post office lady that "If you can shove it in there, we'll ship it. It can be encased with 1/4" of thick tape to reinforce, it can look ugly, but we'll still ship it."

What I've done in the past is to fill the flat rate box or envelope, then give it about 4 coatings or winds of transparent packing tape. It makes it almost hermetically sealed.

Suggestion on shipping Parlon - it's safe stuff, not reactive or poisonous, but looks suspicious as hell. I'd write a note to put in the box (for customs) and a copy of the MSDS, showing that it is truly safe. I'd still almost suspect that the box would be opened, and the Parlon sampled, to make sure it's not drugs or oxidizers.

Swede not sure if it will pass the drug tests seriously a trail of parlon really gets you going jks.

anyway

a convenient way around some shipping restrictions is all in the labelling things that are technically not legal to ship (like in Australia) can simply be labelled as charcoal grey paint additive (which is technically true). I have had no problems with this and have sent lots of it around Australia. Another thing is sodium nitrate if you send it as a food additive they wont do anything

Suggestion on shipping Parlon - it's safe stuff, not reactive or poisonous, but looks suspicious as hell. I'd write a note to put in the box (for customs) and a copy of the MSDS, showing that it is truly safe. I'd still almost suspect that the box would be opened, and the Parlon sampled, to make sure it's not drugs or oxidizers.

Turns out you where very right swede. ^_^

post-9357-1256560474_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

a convenient way around some shipping restrictions is all in the labelling things that are technically not legal to ship (like in Australia) can simply be labelled as charcoal grey paint additive (which is technically true). I have had no problems with this and have sent lots of it around Australia. Another thing is sodium nitrate if you send it as a food additive they wont do anything

Kind of reminds me of the fellow who shipped FFA black powder to a friend, labeled as "activated charcoal". Activated indeed!wink2.gif

WSM

Edited by WSM