APC Forum

Magnisium Ferrotitanium gerb

Twotails

A interesting combo, Started with BP as a base, then added corse Magnisium, FerroTitanium, Sparkler grade steel powder, 325mesh SA Aluminium. bound with NC, solvent was Acetone.

Please leave comments

Edited by Twotails

• 6 months later...
I made one the other day with just coarse magnesium flakes added dry with just hand pressed and it was nice but not alll white like yours appeared. I guess all the things you added washed out the gold color and gave that appearance and looked nice. What size nozzle and tube did you use, I ask because I had one clog and blow out the side a few days earlier that had very small metal fueled green and red stars so I have gone to a little bigger nozzle.

the tube was(if i remember right) 1/2in ID. the hole drilled was i think just a little bit bigger than 1/8th inch, no bigger than 1/4th.

I've made some other ones, and to date only had two blow out(one it tipped over and clogged, the other the fule was too energetic and just blew out the nozzle)

OK, thanks for that info, my tooling has a nozzle a little bigger than 1/4 in and I made it like that so I could pass small stars through without clogging. It won't go as high though but my grandaughters love the colored stars and crackle. Hopefully when I make the next batch I can video record them.

Good to hear. I've used the GE silicone(II) stars as microstars before in fountins, they can be cut to about the size of microstars when dry, its also realy good to use in matrix comets, i think if you had the blue silicone stars, and another colored silicone star(maby it would be possable to use a strontium salt, or sodium salt for a diffrent color, i'll have to test it out and see. I have some Barium carbonate i could test out, as well as a few sulfides, oxides, and ect.)