APC Forum

Red Lead, Lead chloride tutorial

Twotails

Recently I was in my lab and recorded a Simple exparement, that seems to yeald red lead.

Materals:

Lead metal, ground into small peices, the more surface area, the better yeald

NaOH/KOH solution, (I used Heavy duty clog remover from walmart, yellow bottle)

3% H2O2 solution.

a extramly large heat proof vessle, Glass works fine. it should be capable to hold 8X the amount of liquid used so for 100ml, you would need +800ml beaker

Hydrochloric Acid (for lead chloride)

Timeframe of reaction 12hours.

Add your lead to the beaker, the amount is not important, you will have exess lead you will need to wash.

Add to your lead your NaOH/KOH solution. stir or shake solution for a few minutes. Add your H2O2 to the lead mixture untill it turns Red/brown, almost black, and is bubbling vigorusly. Let it react for 12+ hours, or untill everything settles. pour off as much liquid as you can, fill it up of cold water, let the red lead settle, pour off again, and repeat untill it is no longer basic, and reads close to neutral. place it into a contaner, with water, and shake untill it looks muddy, pour off the muddy liquid, and discard the lead metal left over (or save it for future use). Let this dry, and it will yeald red lead. (or another Oxide of lead, but still you can continue to the next step if needed)

add to the above Lead oxide, Hydrochloric acid, the acid dosent have to be very strong.

You should then add some of the remaining base you saved to the acidic solution. although you can use any base you perfer. You now have lead chloride.

Ex. of above

100g lead

100ml NaOH/KOH solution(amount not important, as long as it covers the lead)

3% H2O2

800+ ml Beaker.

Questions welcome

An important note: putting red lead into hydrochloric acid will produce a fair amount of chlorine. I once did the above reaction inside my house because I was unaware of that, and it actually bubbled because of the chlorine escaping the solution.

Well, I did notice a slight amount of chlorine, but if done in a hood, or by a window, the amount (as long as you arnt doing a super large batch) of free chlorine is low.

• 8 months later...
It depends on the amount of solution you have. you'll know when to stop(turns from clear, to red/black)

Yes, but it should be noated that it does take quite a bit of lead to do this(but as i said the finer the lead, the more product) It should also be noated it can get quite warm, and a large reaction vessle is needed to contain the foam(if it should foam up)