APC Forum

Exploding Targets on Wreckreation Nation today

gunner1

Just as a heads-up, Discovery Channel is re-airing the episode of Wreckreation Nation today at 1:00 pm Eastern where they launch pumpkins from cannons, and the second part of the show is the exploding targets part.

Cool, thanks, I always like Discovery shows like Mythbusters or WN.

For those who saw it the PGI episode was way cool , especially that 4 foot girandola...

The PGI Episode was absolutely Beautiful!

I wanted to be there so bad. I would like to know more on the story of the guy with the multi break shell and the massive flowerpot.

Too bad they quit filming that show.

The exploding targets is supposed to be some secret formula that they can't speak of. Its just a mix of ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder. And yes, it does actually require a high velocity rifle bullet to detonate.

Did you see how the Host was acting? I was waiting for him to piss him self at any second! And that girl..boom...opp's...Lucky nobody got hurt..setting the target's up way to close..guy's ducking under the table...metal raining down and all..But over all was a pretty cool show..I did learn one thing..That stuff will go off with a shotgun? I wonder if the guy just used a super fine AL? Or...???

They could have faked it to scare people into thinking that it is a super dangerous, highly unstable eXPl05Iv3 OMG!!!!11111111

I have gotten it to work sporadically with a .22 or .17HMR at 25 yards. IIRC the 22 rounds I was usin' were pumping 1100 FPS with a 40 grain bullet. Also IIRC a slug pumps around 1500 FPS and, (had to look this one up), ~432 grains .. Do you know if they used a slug or shot? If it was shot I am kinda skeptical, however a slug should be able to pack the punch required if the target were within 50 or so yards. (beyond 50 yards I would say that, as a result of the horrible aerodynamics of the slug, the drag would slow the round down enough that it would no longer have the energy required to do the job).

They could have faked it to scare people into thinking that it is a super dangerous, highly unstable eXPl05Iv3 OMG!!!!11111111

I have gotten it to work sporadically with a .22 or .17HMR at 25 yards. IIRC the 22 rounds I was usin' were pumping 1100 FPS with a 40 grain bullet. Also IIRC a slug pumps around 1500 FPS and, (had to look this one up), ~432 grains .. Do you know if they used a slug or shot? If it was shot I am kinda skeptical, however a slug should be able to pack the punch required if the target were within 50 or so yards. (beyond 50 yards I would say that, as a result of the horrible aerodynamics of the slug, the drag would slow the round down enough that it would no longer have the energy required to do the job).

The shotgun load's where light field/skeet...Probably #7 1/2's or #8's...in the range of 1250-1350 FPS..The guy making the mix taped sandwich baggie's with the mix to clay pigeon's..And launched them with a skeet thrower..Albiet the clay's where only 20 yard's maybe when he would hit em..Just figured it would take a little more omph then that to set it off..

What I'm thinking is..The guy with the skeet may have been making the forbiden mix with KcL03..You know the one I'm talking about...And wasnt really Tannerite..?? Looked fun though...But geeezzzeey, Those people with the center fire's...Yike's. :lol:

You're absolutely right, that mix is not Tannerite. It's a sensitive ammonium nitrate/ethylene glycol/potassium chlorate (death) mix.