APC Forum

Will Chinese fuse ignite Mg ribbon?

k9sports

Wondering if this Chinese fuse (http://www.pyrocreations.com/inc/sdetail/79624) will ignite Mg ribbon?

if NOT, perhaps a fuse igniting crushed match heads and that igniting Mg ribbon?

...Wow...

If you have not caught on to this forum yet, you soon will. Posts regarding disassembling commercial fireworks, and particularly matches to get the chemicals you desire is VERY frowned upon here. It is extremely dangerous and shines a bad light on all legitimate pyrotechnics. This forum is for builders of fireworks. Go elsewhere to ask such questions.

Mg ribbon will take fire from any ordinary lighter. Just use that as a fuse. But honestly, if I were you I'd sit down with a nice pyro book and spend some quality time with it. It'll help you now and in the long run.

Stay safe.

I light magnesium ribbon with a mini torch and it doesn't light right away. Even at the peak of the flame it doesn't light as fast as a fuse. I'm not sure a standard 1.7" burning visco fuse can, by itself, reliably ignite magnesium ribbon. You'll have to find a clever way of interweaving the two or priming the magnesium. Good luck and let us know what you discover. As others have said before me, be safe!

I'm from Russia by the way, we can disassemble the matches lol. I've done once in front of a cop. We don't have feminism in Russia, yet, and I hope not for a long future, so we don't havok over silly things.

What I'm gonna do is try to ignite Mg with a match, if that works that means fuse will ignite match heads, and that will ignite Mg.

Thanks for input.

Maybe you didn't catch on. It's not a legal thing with regard to disassembling matches. It's an intelligence and safety thing. I really don't think this is the best forum for you, as you don't seem interest in pyrotechnics, just burning through an enging block, which wont actually work. You've also pretty obviously not done any research at all.

I'm from Russia by the way, we can disassemble the matches lol. I've done once in front of a cop. We don't have feminism in Russia, yet, and I hope not for a long future, so we don't havok over silly things.

What I'm gonna do is try to ignite Mg with a match, if that works that means fuse will ignite match heads, and that will ignite Mg.

Thanks for input.

I'm just curious as to what feminism could possibly have to do with "disassembling" matches...

Haha I was wondering the same thing. I could see the possibility of it being a joke...Or mixed up words.

I think he's calling you sissies for thinking that grinding match heads might be dangerous. ;)

Seriously though k9sports, it's not that crushing match heads is exceptionally dangerous, but instead that it's archaic...much like rubbing sticks together to create fire. We've all been at this stage early in our pyro days, where we look around for readily-available materials to create an effect. However, match heads really aren't useful in this scenario. If you use the proper technique (i.e. an easily ignited, hot prime comp), it's a trivial task to ignite thermite with a fuse.

just wondering how did we get to thermite from magnesium ribbon that might not be his reason for wanting to burn magnesium ribbon

Can you think of anything we do that cannot be ignited by the usual visco and/or prime, and requires mag ribbon to get it started? Plus, he posted on another thread about burning through an engine block with thermite.

K9 to answer your original question:

Your thermite will likely light with just the Chinese visco fuse by itself, if anything you can try wrapping a turn of Mg ribbon at the base of the visco and insert that into the thermite.

I understand you're solely interested in destroying an old car, which is fine as long as its legal and won't get you in trouble or damage another's property.

This forum is based on making fireworks, and it normally does not endorse activities such as the one you're interested in. Though it seems you are just looking for a safer way to ignite the thermite and get away since Mg ribbon burns up pretty fast. Just try and be safe doing it, I use to live in the Balkans and the laws are pretty loose there, try and use common sense while doing this and don't do anything stupid.