APC Forum

Star Priming Problem

jrin0630

I made a test batch of Ruby Red stars, same comp posted on Pyro Guide, and when I tried to prime one of them to test it basically dissolved and crumpled up after I wet it with a 75/25 water/alch. mixture. The star was dried for 4 days and I tested another one from the same batch on the ground and it lit and burned fine, so they appear to be dried adequately. Has anyone experienced this problem? I've used the same priming process with different kinds of stars and have not had an issue like this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

"dissolved and crumpled up after I wet it with a 75/25 water/alch. mixture."

How wet did you get it? Normaly a few sprays from a small mister works well enought.

Personaly, As soon as i've cut or pressed my stars, I Place them direcly into the prime. while there still moist. or i'll let them dry, sprits them with water, and swerl them around in a bowl with the prime.

But i honestly try to stick with stars that dont need primes, like my sparkler star bound with red gum. I just made another batch of those, and i am priming them, to see if it makes a diffrence. They seem to go off like bound slow flash, if made into micro stars, they would be good cores. When added to a gerb(after they have been cut in forths with a razor) they are realy quite impressive.