APC Forum

Presses

Updup

Hey everyone, i'm new to the whole pyro thing but i want to exersize alot of safety, i'm i'm about to go away from blackpowder type comps to make comps with metels in them (mainly for fountians) but dont want to be ramming metels, do any of ya'll know where i could get a cheap press (of anytype)? and how much force do i need? is 1.5 tonns good?

Cheers [=

Updup

Hey everyone, i'm new to the whole pyro thing but i want to exersize alot of safety, i'm i'm about to go away from blackpowder type comps to make comps with metels in them (mainly for fountians) but dont want to be ramming metels, do any of ya'll know where i could get a cheap press (of anytype)? and how much force do i need? is 1.5 tonns good?

Cheers [=

Updup

There is a whole thread on presses in the rocketry section... 1.5ton is pretty weak, I'd start with a 6ton jack at least.

About the absolute cheapest ready-made press is going to cost about $100 before shipping. They have "A" frame and "H" frame presses, and if you are going to buy one, consider that one day you might be pressing giant rockets, so be sure it has the stroke and size you need. It is possible to make a press, but to get into the heavier pressing regimes requires some very stout steel framing, and in the end, it is sometimes cheaper to buy a Chinese press ready-made.

For benchtop, light work, a car bottle and a lighter framing can be put together pretty cheaply, but keep in mind the power of the jack - the frame needs to be REALLY stout. Maybe 1" dia. threaded rod, plus a few square-sectioned tube steel members.

About the absolute cheapest ready-made press is going to cost about $100 before shipping. They have "A" frame and "H" frame presses, and if you are going to buy one, consider that one day you might be pressing giant rockets, so be sure it has the stroke and size you need. It is possible to make a press, but to get into the heavier pressing regimes requires some very stout steel framing, and in the end, it is sometimes cheaper to buy a Chinese press ready-made.

For benchtop, light work, a car bottle and a lighter framing can be put together pretty cheaply, but keep in mind the power of the jack - the frame needs to be REALLY stout. Maybe 1" dia. threaded rod, plus a few square-sectioned tube steel members.

Okay thanks, i have a 1.5 tonn bottle jack but it aperes that might not be good, and if i dont have a welder i cant make a fram to put in in anyway.

thanks for your help.

Study the pressure that the compound needs then limit the diameter of the product to that which suits the jack that you can get.

Watching some 4" fountains being pressed at Kimbolton they needed a big press but if you are going to press 3/4 or 1" fountains then you will need less ram force to get the same pressure on the reduced area.

A steel frame press can be built without welding, by simply bolting the componenets. Even a wood frame can be made using hardwood.

As Arther said, if pressing small fountains, lower pressure is fine. I have done small fountains (1") using a pipe clamp and they worked just fine. You might also want to look into a small arbor press.

Fantastic, I appreciate all your help guys, I think if I built a strong wood/metal frame I could make this work, as I will only be pressing 1" ID MAX, and I have a 1.5 ton bottle jack [=

oh and I just looked at ebay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-TON-HEAVY-DUTY-ARBOR-PRESS-PRESSES-ASSEMBLY-LEVER_W0QQitemZ300348152951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ee251c77 might it work for small fountains and rockets?

and would getting a press allow me to pack more comp in my tube than hammering it?

Fantastic, I appreciate all your help guys, I think if I built a strong wood/metal frame I could make this work, as I will only be pressing 1" ID MAX, and I have a 1.5 ton bottle jack [=

oh and I just looked at ebay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-TON-HEAVY-DUTY-ARBOR-PRESS-PRESSES-ASSEMBLY-LEVER_W0QQitemZ300348152951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ee251c77 might it work for small fountains and rockets?

and would getting a press allow me to pack more comp in my tube than hammering it?

That arbor press should work for 1" fountains... I have the same one (different colour, but likely from the same Chinese factory). The only problem is the working height is very low, so as the comp builds up in the tube, you have no room for the rammer. You will have to raise it up by adding threaded rods and a plate or clamping it on blocks and pressing direcrtly on a strudy surface/table.See here for some great info:

wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/rockets/presses.html

Edited by Bonny

I have a 6ton bottle jack that im altering with heavy caridge springs. Im also installing a 1in bullet proof glass sheld to the front, and Heavy duty plexi-glass side extenders. Im making it so I can operate it from a distance.

Hopefully i will get it done by fall of 2010.

Okay my bottle jack is 2 tons, i just need a strong frame and i can do an inverted press setup, having the jack at the bottom, pushing up on the fountain with the ramming rod aganst the top of my strong frame.

this should work, i guess i dont need a press till i get metel powders, which i dont think i'll be getting till after x-mas.

again i really like you guy's help [=

I have a question related to this topic. Ti and black powder can be rammed, right? Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the author of Turbo Pyro show himself ramming a bp/ferro ti mix in his fountain video? Why would he recommend this if it wasn’t an acceptable practice?

Personally, I wouldn't ram it. (I'd only press it.)

But I'd like to hear other opinions about this.

For me, its dependednt apon size, I almost never make fouintins larger than 1in ID, and i never make tham more than 6in long. when im packing comps with metal, I tend to dampen it with a solvent, somthing that nothing is going to react with, I dampen it, mostly with no binder (although i have beed using 2% RG in my latest fountins), They do take a while to dry, but i think they work well. The fountins that i make to be shot off that night, i dont dampen them, and i gently press the composition down in managable layers, giving it a few light taps with a rubber mallet to compact it.

I've done it before, and I'm not sure how I feel about it really. I've never had an accident, and have heard of many others doing the same. I really can't recommend it but there are worse things to do, like drilling into this comp with a power drill. It's good practice to ram/press the first increment with BP or fountain mix without metal in any case. That way you're not drilling into metal comp or ramming it on a steel spindle.

• 2 weeks later...

Harry Gilliam has detailed instructions on how to make your own hydraulic press.

Link... http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2008/...cket-press.html

It is fairly simple as long as you have a friend that has a metal shop for those large holes in the thick metal bases.

I made one myself, including installing the pressure guage, for about $75.

I use it for making comets and making BP pucks.

Works great!