APC Forum

Stars and or cores

Twotails

I was wondering, in a way to cut time, could one pack star comp into a plastic drinking straw, and ether extrude it out, cut it in the tube(and maby cut the plastic off at a later time) or cut it in the tube and leave the plastic on.

I know that would make tiny stars, but maby for small shells or for cores it would work?

also, i saw Paper straws at walmart, you think it would work to say, use it like a spiggot(i think thats what its called, i suck at spelling so...) and compact BP into it to use insted of a timefuse? or maby as other effects (like it the tube is thin, filling it with some kind of comp, priming the end, plugging the other and useing it like (i think) go-getters? so they zip around in the air?

I kinda want your guys experince, sence mom hates the ball mill running, and im down to roughty 50g BP ( i also need to order KNO3, or use my stock of NaNO3)

Im tierd and just feel like talking.

I was wondering, in a way to cut time, could one pack star comp into a plastic drinking straw, and ether extrude it out, cut it in the tube(and maby cut the plastic off at a later time) or cut it in the tube and leave the plastic on.

I know that would make tiny stars, but maby for small shells or for cores it would work?

also, i saw Paper straws at walmart, you think it would work to say, use it like a spiggot(i think thats what its called, i suck at spelling so...) and compact BP into it to use insted of a timefuse? or maby as other effects (like it the tube is thin, filling it with some kind of comp, priming the end, plugging the other and useing it like (i think) go-getters? so they zip around in the air?

I kinda want your guys experince, sence mom hates the ball mill running, and im down to roughty 50g BP ( i also need to order KNO3, or use my stock of NaNO3)

Im tierd and just feel like talking.

I made a batch of Chrysanthemum 6 and had some left over so I packed it into a homemade tube about the ID of a straw, cut them with anvil cutters and loaded them into a 1.75" shell. Looked pretty good to me.

There is a simple solution for a replacement of time fuse, it's called a spolette. They are made by ramming BP into a tube. Simple as that. An inch of BP gives ~2.45 seconds of burn time, for my latest BP that is. Much easier and far more reliable than attempting to force BP into a flimsy straw.

There is a simple solution for a replacement of time fuse, it's called a spolette. They are made by ramming BP into a tube. Simple as that. An inch of BP gives ~2.45 seconds of burn time, for my latest BP that is. Much easier and far more reliable than attempting to force BP into a flimsy straw.

Uh, pumping stars? Not BP.

I'll try to look, but I seem to remember something like this being used for mini-gogetters before. It was in a best of AFN. I'll take a look next time I get a chance.

They sound kind of like mini-pill box stars too. You probably wouldn't get the same effect being so small though.

First off... I'd suggest you get the ball mill out of the house. THAT should help ;{)

First you do NOT run a ball mill in someone else's house -wait til you have your own house! And clear up your own mess!!

Perhaps you should use your mill outside during the working day and away from the house and neighbours til you buy a rubber drum

Don't debate it just buy a rubber drum for your mill they are so much quieter! I have two drums off http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatal...g_Machines.html The "1400gram" rubber drum shown on the CR2 picture makes 200 - 500g of powder at a time but if overloaded will take 12 hours. The 2.25kilo drum shown on the mill of the same name will make a 1kilo batch in 4 - 6 hours or a 500g batch in less time.

If you can find a better and closer supplier then use them but a noisy mill will make your family and neighbours unhappy which could suddenly turn very bad for you.

Edited by Arthur

I've messed a LOT with tiny fireworks, and making small stars (1/8" and smaller; mouse turds) is difficult. They tend to crumble to dust, and to make any decent volume with pumping takes FOREVER. I have sworn off micro-stars, and instead use cut portions of falling leaves as tiny stars. Talk about saving a lot of work - plus, falling leaves come in all sorts of colors and effects, and being a fuse, they have a built-in casing which keeps them strong.

Throw in a few flying fish too, for some fun effects.

I've messed a LOT with tiny fireworks, and making small stars (1/8" and smaller; mouse turds) is difficult. They tend to crumble to dust, and to make any decent volume with pumping takes FOREVER. I have sworn off micro-stars, and instead use cut portions of falling leaves as tiny stars. Talk about saving a lot of work - plus, falling leaves come in all sorts of colors and effects, and being a fuse, they have a built-in casing which keeps them strong.

Throw in a few flying fish too, for some fun effects.

Swede,

Haven't you rolled stars? Micro stars are extremely easy, rolling a batch of 1/4" stars are hard. There are several different sizes in that first batch and all i do is screen off the micro stars and save them in a separate container. I sort the rest by size and build them to the size I want.

My sizer is so simple it is just crazy!! Two 36" x 1/2" Al rods that run parallel to each other at a 15% angle with a funnel set above the end where they touch. The rods then are separated to 1" at the end of the run. Stars are then added to the funnel slowly and as they roll down the two rods, they fall off into containers according to size.

My mouse turds, (micro stars) fall off first and my 1/2" stars fall off last. The ahrder and rounder the star, the lesser the angle, the softer and more out of round stars the greater the angle.

Dave

Uh, pumping stars? Not BP.

I was not speaking to your post, but to the original where he mentions making fuse using straws.

I was not speaking to your post, but to the original where he mentions making fuse using straws.

Gotcha!

Sorry to misspeak.

I dont mill indoors, I know that.

She just hates me makeing it, me having to check the genarator every now and then.

my mill is a few hunderd feet away from the house anyway.

and its a rubber drum, so its not a noise issue

Edited by Twotails

Dave, it's probably my technique, but my really small stars tend to be too fragile, and shatter too often into a not-so-pretty glowing cloud. What I had been using for a star roller is a POS homemade device that I really need to upgrade.

Dave, it's probably my technique, but my really small stars tend to be too fragile, and shatter too often into a not-so-pretty glowing cloud. What I had been using for a star roller is a POS homemade device that I really need to upgrade.

Have you tried all of the binders and heavy cores? I use iron shot and build them up to 1/8" using a little more water than normal. I then let them dry while turning in the roller. Gotta keep your eyes on them or they combine and grow.

SGRS, CMC work well and you can spray Nitrocellulose Lacquer (5-10%) on the top and prime with meal if you cant get them hard enough.

Dave

I just cut a 100g batch of Sparkler stars, 1/4in cubes(kinda small, but, its just a test anyway)

the formula for said comp is

60% Potassium perchlorate

30% 325 mesh Spherical Atomized Aluminum (any corse aluminum works)

10% Red gum

Solvent- Alcohol

I pressed the mixture out in an even layer, And cut it freehand.

They seem nice, I've only tested them on the ground, and they were still damp, but they seem to be realy good.

I just cut a 100g batch of Sparkler stars, 1/4in cubes(kinda small, but, its just a test anyway)

the formula for said comp is

60% Potassium perchlorate

30% 325 mesh Spherical Atomized Aluminum (any corse aluminum works)

10% Red gum

Solvent- Alcohol

I pressed the mixture out in an even layer, And cut it freehand.

They seem nice, I've only tested them on the ground, and they were still damp, but they seem to be realy good.

10% Red Gum seems a little heavy. I have never used more then 5% in my stars. If they work, they work but you may want to try it with 5% to see what you get. You may want to try Parlon and acetone for these also, it makes for less volatile stars since you have a very energetic dry mix there. Diaper mix that stuff outside and wear protective clothing.

Dave

Im useing 325 mesh SA aluminium, any finer and it will flash. The Mixture bairly burns dry, unless held under a blow torch.

The large amout of red gum is becouse it acts like a fule.

These stars dry rock-hard, and give a "crackling" effect in larger stars.

They do take fire nicely, its a very bright star, and smells of burning marshmallows( i've attributed that to the high percentage of redgum)

I did diaper this mixture together, and I always work outside, so no worrys there.

It seems nice, I might make a mine out of these ones, or a small shell.

Im useing 325 mesh SA aluminium, any finer and it will flash. The Mixture bairly burns dry, unless held under a blow torch.

The large amout of red gum is becouse it acts like a fule.

These stars dry rock-hard, and give a "crackling" effect in larger stars.

They do take fire nicely, its a very bright star, and smells of burning marshmallows( i've attributed that to the high percentage of redgum)

I did diaper this mixture together, and I always work outside, so no worrys there.

It seems nice, I might make a mine out of these ones, or a small shell.

Will this work with flake?

I would guess so, You'd have to try it out, as i have no flake aluminum on hand.

The formula stated as long as its larger mesh it should work, I would presume you would get diffrent affects based on the aluminum you used.

But be warned, these stars over-wet easly, also they are realy soft untill they are dry, and they will squish easly untill they are dry.