APC Forum

Need some help figuring this out....

Twotails

I've been studing lead for the past few days, this is what i have deduced sofar.

Lead+H2O2(3%)= nothing of considarble intrest to me.

Lead+H2O2+varius salts= "

and then i tried Lead + NaOH( the purest form i have on hand right now is Draincleaner and it contains 100% Lye) It turned murky, not much diffrence to the metal (exept it desolved the oxides on the outside?)

then i added H2O2 in small incriments untill it bubbled, I then nook note of a reddish-brown-black hue when fresh H2O2 was added, so i added more, just a drop and it turned Dark-brown, and the lead is now black.

I've kept a record of this:

23.9g lead added to test tube.

16.5g NaOH added to lead.

Chilled to 10F for 1 hour 20 minutes.

Removed from freezer raised temp to around 110F for 10 minutes.

Added a total of 21.1g of H2O2 to solution.

Lead, and solution turned black-brown and severe bubbling occered, followed by a raise in temp for the next 8 minutes. After solution stopped reacting, temp droped. solution turned a light rusty brown, and the lead looks slightly red-brown, with traces of black.

Any clue as to what it is?

The black stuff is probably some kind of plumbate salt. It also occurs when minium is added to concentrated hydrochloric acid (for making chlorine in situ in a couple of reactions, not recommended at home).

The black stuff is probably some kind of plumbate salt. It also occurs when minium is added to concentrated hydrochloric acid (for making chlorine in situ in a couple of reactions, not recommended at home).

I did not start with minium. and i used a base and H2O2(3%), no tconcentrated HCL( i did use it to neutralize the base)

apon further tests, when acidified to neutral the liquid turned bright yellow, and a white grainy percipitate formed on the lead and tube, apon further cleaningit seems the lead had a thin coating of (i am assuming red lead, although i dont know how to test for it), the lead lost .7g of weight in this reaction.