APC Forum

I want to flood this forum!

NightHawkInLight

Hey all,

I've been wanting to really give this forum a major member boost for a while now. Recently with my website and some of my most recent videos it has been my goal to get more and more people into legitimate pyrotechnics. I was very surprised back in December when I joined MPAG to discover that I was part of the slim minority of members who had actually built any fireworks. That minority has greatly increased over this past year as MPAG has put together several fine classes involving building on site; but even so, it's interesting that most of the members are on the factory fireworks side of things. Not that that is a bad thing.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I am trying to increase the awareness of pyrotechnics, and generate good publicity. It's a bit disconcerting to realize what a small number of people know the difference between bombs and fireworks. The PGI only has what, ~3,500 members? We need more good exposure.

I think this forum is great for those newbies that find it. I came across this forum with several years of experience building using self invented techniques, and many of you set me straight on numerous things. Your combined knowledge and support has produced many fine pyrotechnics from those that have stumbled across these pages unawares.

What I am planning on is to launch a video supporting the forum and send my viewers over here. There is a good possibility of several hundred new active members shortly after release.

Now, there are a few things I'm looking for in posting this:

Firstly: How do the senior members (and any others) feel about me creating this video, likely resulting in the flooding of this forum initially with many k3wls? That is actually my goal in a way, as I think it will result in many 'conversions' as it were. ;) Undoubtedly there will also be many semi-experienced new members already possessing a desire to build real fireworks.

Second: Assuming general approval, I am looking for videos and pictures of fireworks for use in the video. Both in the construction process and when fired. Any APC signatures or images for those of you who have done some graphic design for the site would be appreciated as well.

Last: What are your thoughts on the best way to improve publicity for building fireworks, as well as fireworks in general?

I happen to think that things will continue to spiral downhill as far as fireworks go in the public eye. As that is typically what leads to new legislation, a poor view of pyrotechnics is not good. I would like to do my part to change that if I can. Pyrotechnics has always been a sort of 'good ol boys' club', as was mentioned in a recent thread concerning passfire. I think it should be exposed for what it is, a legitimate art form no more dangerous than using power tools. (That's actually a pretty good comparison: If you use a saw in a way it's not meant to be used, you could cut your fingers off, but using saws is still generally accepted. Pyrotechnics should be viewed in the same light.)

Thanks,

-Ben

To me that sounds absolutely great.Don't know about everyone else but go for it, of course that would mean more moderating and scolding but, better than leaving k3wls as they are. They just need be pointed in the right direction.

I could give you a step by step tutorial of how to make high quality 2" can shells once I'm done with it. Not soon though.

It will show how to make the casings, stars, burst, lift, spiking and everything involved all in one with many pictures.

I have some videos of these shells waiting to be uploaded from the 4th as soon as I find a new charger for my Video Camera.

Nice comparison. I can supply you with some videos in the construction process, I will make them look decent, like a few close ups on a shell while it is being put together, maybe a bit of video wieghing out chems. Yeah I'll get you some. This is a good idea, I like the idea of getting people who are interested, and so that we can change them into pyrotechs. I have achived this goal on my own form with a few people, it really does work, one moment they will be grinding match heads and thinking they are a pro and then you talk to them and tell them al about it and some of them realy get stuck into it. Its great.

While I support the idea of helping folks get the information they need, I don't think we need an active recruitment campaign. Those who truly want to learn more will research and find themselves here, or at other sites with quality information. This isn't knitting or down hill skiing. I have a strong feeling that we will end-up with an influx of overconfident folks coming in and making a mess of things.

While I support the idea of helping folks get the information they need, I don't think we need an active recruitment campaign. Those who truly want to learn more will research and find themselves here, or at other sites with quality information. This isn't knitting or down hill skiing. I have a strong feeling that we will end-up with an influx of overconfident folks coming in and making a mess of things.

Hmm...I get what you are saying. I don't think it would be that way, but I understand what you mean. As a sampling of who watches my videos and what to expect from new forum members, you can look through the comments of any of my videos. Here is an example:

I am not so much trying to go out on a recruitment campaign as you put it, but instead trying to get those who already have an interest in pyrotechnics off to a good start. An attempt to encourage people to grow in their knowledge rather than thinking it's not possible for the average person to build fireworks, as is the general perception. Typically my viewers are already very open to advice, since the vast majority watch my videos to learn something. I don't think your projected scenario would be the case, but I'm glad I posted before uploading anything. I hope others can provide more thoughts regarding this.

A clarification of what I am looking for regarding videos: I am not particularly looking for full tutorials, those are better saved for the forum. I am looking for clips that I can use in the short video introducing APC, flashes of shells, clips of clean assembly, things like that. For the details of the short clips they can visit the forum. That is presuming a consensus can be reached regarding if it should be posted or not.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Those who truly want to learn more will research and find themselves here

This is how I found my way here. My search for knowledge brought me to NightHawkInLight’s youtube page. He recommended this forum (after generously answering all of my questions ;) and I’ve learned more in the last few days than many hours of googling questionable websites. I fully support this idea! As you said, few people know the difference between bombs and fireworks. Many of these people are involved in our legislation. For all my life I have loved reptiles! Until I began working, I would spend 15-20 hours a week looking for snakes. Not every friend of mine became inspired to go looking for snakes in their spare time, but all of them now like or at least respect reptiles. The more people involved or exposed to this art will make for better chances of keeping the craft alive and legal. Good luck and let me know how I can help.

Skycastlefish

Education brings about safety more than law enforcement ever could. I am not a senior member, but I agree completely with this idea. Anyone who wants to research could find this site, but there are plenty of people who think they've got it all figured out; who don't realize that it would be a good idea for them to learn more.

exacty scarbelly, when I first started, I guess you could say I was fairly young, but all I knew you could do with kno3 was make smoke, and thats what I pretty muc did, I even cooked it over a 'camp' fire. I didnt really hit up the internet or the computer cause I really didnt know about internet and stuff. I found pyroguide and then joined there forum and became much much more knowlegable and found out you could make black powder with kno3, it was realy great. Yeah anyway, I think this is a great idea.

I agree with your idea, NH. Far better for us to deal with, and educate 'kewls', than them to blow off their fingers with matches, and have all those people that are afraid of life curtail our pursuits even more.

The forum ticks along very well as is! I dont doubt that improvements could happen, but it is after all Mumbles' forum and he should have ultimate rights over his forum.

Anyone can add tutorials and articles on manufacture or other aspects or pyro, but this will nit change the legal status of pyro in various parts of the world, or the advisability of pyro in tower blocks and appartments!

With the risk of sudden and total loss of forum data (as in the old forum!) Keep the forum clean and clear with good instructions but also refer to hard copy books. Weingart, Lancaste, Davis, Shidlovskii, Maltitz, et al all have hard copy on the market with lots of instruction and NO amount of web info can beat the masters.

We have regular backup of this data. The old forum hosting service wouldn't turn over the files to us. No more than a week's data could be lost here.

The forum ticks along very well as is! I dont doubt that improvements could happen, but it is after all Mumbles' forum and he should have ultimate rights over his forum.

Anyone can add tutorials and articles on manufacture or other aspects or pyro, but this will nit change the legal status of pyro in various parts of the world, or the advisability of pyro in tower blocks and appartments!

With the risk of sudden and total loss of forum data (as in the old forum!) Keep the forum clean and clear with good instructions but also refer to hard copy books. Weingart, Lancaste, Davis, Shidlovskii, Maltitz, et al all have hard copy on the market with lots of instruction and NO amount of web info can beat the masters.

You misunderstand my goal. I do not want more people to start building in their one bedroom apartments, I want them to know what options are available. Anyone within the US can build fireworks legally, if not at home, then with any number of pyrotechnic clubs only a few hours drive from anywhere in the country.

What I am most proud of regarding my videos, is not the bulk views, but the few people that I have convinced to join pyrotechnics clubs around the States. That's what makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ;) . The more people that go legitimate, the more this hobby will be viewed legitimately. As long as it is seen as something that is done illegally in a dark basement, there is absolutely no chance for legal support.

If everyone that viewed my videos became better informed through a forum such as this, it could make a difference. My videos receive upwards of 6,000 views per day, almost double the number of members in the PGI. Don't think a difference couldn't be made if that were put to use. Think about it, only 3,500 members of the PGI. There are millions of Americans interested in fireworks, and 3,500 is the fraction of them that knows there is a legitimate outlet. I find that sad. You don't think if everyone interested in fireworks knew they could build them, compete in class C and B displays, learn from other pyrotechnics around the country, all legally, that they wouldn't?

There's probably thousands out there who would join the PGI or another pyrotechnics club just to have the card in their wallet. Once they're in a club they are then in a position to learn. The spread of information is key. If everyone knew about fireworks what you do, would they ever be made illegal? Even a measurable fraction of everyone for that matter.

Imagine if the PGI held even 1% of the political influence of the NRA. One lonely lobbyist, that's all I ask. I haven't yet given up on the possibility of it still being legal to light a fuse come my 80th birthday.

[/rant]

I support this idea (in theory at least) although I'm a little cautious, for the reasons mentioned so far by others.

But the details can be worked out between you and Mumbles.

And while we occasionally go 2 weeks between backups, in general we get weekly backups (which one of us saves to our local PC). So loss of data isn't an issue any more.

hello, im a newbie to chemistry. can anyone give me tips/equipment suggestions?

I suck at chem..but a better place might be the chemistry forum to ask this. I'm sure one of the friendly mods will move it for you. However, pyro and chemistry are sciences, and depend alot upon reading and reasearch. And you skipped right past the Chem forum. Pay attention or who knows... it's a hobby filled with dangerous pitfalls.

i just dont want flamed for being new to places.

You won't be. Make a post in the chem forum. The folk here are reasonable... and study hard!

Ok, I've talked to Mumbles. I will be waiting a while before uploading a video to give Mumbles time to work on some projects, but I would now like to start collecting clips and images.

The easiest way to send any files I think will be through uploading to APC or to http://www.rapidshare.com/.

Just send me the download link for rapidshare or post something here if you have any content you would like to contribute.

Thanks

-Ben

cool, i'll take some videos.

Is this any good? http://pyrobin.com/files/strobe.wmv It is a strobe that uses easy to get chems...It wasnt for this, but you can use it anyway, I will get better ones.

Here is anpther video you could use: http://pyrobin.com/files/pine_bp_test.avi (it says pine charocal as the file name, but I dont think it is pine because it is the charcoal my friend gave me. anyway you can use this in your video NH

Edited by TrueBluePyro

I really dig this idea. I will post rocket tutorials, and an in depth KNSU explanation video.

@nighthawk. [/rant] Thats hilarious!

I really dig this idea. I will post rocket tutorials, and an in depth KNSU explanation video.

@nighthawk. [/rant] Thats hilarious!

TrueBlue is correct. However, if you want to work on tutorials for this forum I am certainly not stopping you. And if you do, I would love some of the better clips for the video. Good quality video or images would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Let me rephrase, I do not just want clips of every day pyro, but clips and images of some of the content found here. So clips or images of tutorials, shells, rockets, mines, anything made at least in part by using information found here.