APC Forum

Loblolly pine for charcoal?

Skycastlefish

Has anyone here ever made charcoal from a loblolly pine? They are the most abundant tree in my area (in fact, they’re my state tree.) Here’s why I ask, loblolly pines are highly resistant to fire. This is why they’re so common in my area. They grow fast and survive the flash front of both natural and controlled burns. This makes me think they might be awesome for stars, maybe tiger tails. The wood is very coarse grained and full of resin. Loblolly pines are a type of yellow pine if that helps.

Skycastlefish

Edited by Skycastlefish

As a specific type of tree, you'd have to try to charcoal it to be certain.

You're right :D My boss has a few hundred pounds of it after drafting his home/property. I am most certainly going to try it! I hope to film it and definetly report. Until then... any yellow pine experience might give me a starting point for a star formula. Any good pine/star formual would be awsome!

-Skycastlefish

If that's the type of Pine I'm thinking of (and given your description of pitch content) it *might* make a very hot and fast bp, not a slow one.

Every type of Yellow Pine I've heard of is very good.

Either way, you're definitely in luck if you can get a few hundred pounds of it.