APC Forum

Recycling dried NC-slurries?

AdmiralDonSnider

I assume this a very dumb question, so this seems to be the right category. ^_^

Does it do any damage to my NC-based BP primer slurry if I redissolve it by adding nitro lacquer or another suitable solvent? Will it dry well again?

I asking this because I always tend to make up too much prime and when the remainder dries it´s just a waste of material. :D

I assume this a very dumb question, so this seems to be the right category. ^_^

Does it do any damage to my NC-based BP primer slurry if I redissolve it by adding nitro lacquer or another suitable solvent? Will it dry well again?

I asking this because I always tend to make up too much prime and when the remainder dries it´s just a waste of material. :D

Re-constitute away forever Admiral!

Put the dry prime in a bottle and reconstitute with acetone, amyl nitrate or wet prime slurry.

I understand that there is a fast or even faster drying rate to chose with acetone or amyl nitrate. Try it and see.

Also be sure that you don't carry over star material and risk an unpredictable slurry in the prime. I'd still aim to carry as little back to the "Save for recycling" jar as possible.

Thanks!

I´m actually making up the prime in a ceramic jar and just take some out. I don´t put anything back. But there seems to be the optimum amount about z e r o times :P

Just to make sure: Does acetone work as a thinner in all instances? I´m currently using cellulose thinner, which seems to be something else. All labels say : use cellulose thinner! and I never read about acetone, although I´m quite sure it works.

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Cellulose nitrate dissolves in acetone, amyl nitrate, and some alcohols according to it's degree of nitration, these solvents can evaporate quickly! Other cellulose lacquers may dissolve in other solvents as well according to the type of cellulose product.

I think cellulose thiners is mixed xylenes. cellulosic materials can be difficult to dissolve some solvents take time to swell the solids.

Edited by Arthur

I make (poor quality) NC laqure by adding Acetone to pingpong balls, I make priming slurrys with it, and often reconstitute it with acetone.

so i dont see whats wrong.

Ping pong balls may not always be NC. They may still dissolve in acetone.

What can be very wrong is the risk of contaminating the prime with star fragments. One week you dip some sulphur containing stars next week you dip some chlorate containing stars. Each tim a tiny bit of star comp falls into the NC prime then you get a bottle containing a sulphur chlorate mixture. When you realise that this may not be good for your health, then you will take steps to prevent harm.

I believe what the Admiral means is that he doesn't dip things into the prime, he makes up the lacquer in a bowl, then removes a small amount to some other container or likewise, then rubs that on the stars and what not. He only recycles what is left in the original bowl; the portion of the slurry that has not been touched by any pyro chems. Correct me if I'm wrong Admiral.

I believe what the Admiral means is that he doesn't dip things into the prime, he makes up the lacquer in a bowl, then removes a small amount to some other container or likewise, then rubs that on the stars and what not. He only recycles what is left in the original bowl; the portion of the slurry that has not been touched by any pyro chems. Correct me if I'm wrong Admiral.

No, you´re right. :D

But thanks for pointing it out, Arthur; would indeed be a bad idea.

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider