APC Forum

Flash Booster

The-T

Well, what size of shell are you making, and what is the burst you are boosting?

A lot of people have been using 2:1:1 Potassium Nitrate:Sulfur:Bright Al for shells. They coat BP coated hulls until no more will stick, and use this as is for the shells. This might be a good place to start. Trying to boost KP or H3 might be tricky. A little bit goes a long way.

I have and likely always will use:

Potassium Nitrate - 5

Sulfur - 3

Dark (8 micron) Al - 2

It works spectacularly well in shells up to 5 inch. I have not considered it necessary for anything larger, but I imagine it would to just fine if your usual break is still somehow to weak for that size of shell.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, to boost the shells with this flash I'll usually just dust the break with the flash after it has been dumped in the shell. I then tap the casing lightly a few times to settle it. I also like this composition because it goes light on the valuable dark Al.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

I use a different comp again, I follow this table though.

KNO3 – 50

Al (dark flake) – 30

S – 20

2” - 5g

3” - 7.5g

4” - 10g

5” - 15g

6” - 20g

7” - 30g

8” - 40g

I use the continuous gummed tape method of pasting, equal to 6 layers.

I cut down on the flash for some shells (with a tail effect), the stars seem to spread out too much and loose the dense tails, I use the amount required for a shell 1" smaller. i.e a 4" would use 7.5g and an 8" would use 30g.

Add bp on hulls burst like normal then dump half of the flash into each hemi and close.

Edited by Sambo

Hi,

i haven't experiense in fp but why nitrate flash is safer than klo4/al?

nitrates are more reactive in al,rigth?so why is safe?

It's much less sensitive to shock and friction, I don't know about static though. It makes the work with it more comfortable. This doesn't mean that you can treat it like a barbarian though, it's still a flash mix.

As for me, I think boosters aren't necessary from shells bigger than 2" if you paste the correct number of layers. BP on hulls can be enough. Then also, it can be a difference of taste. Some people make a 3" shell to break like with a radius of 200 meters, others are satisfied with 50 meters.

Personally, I use H3 for streamer star shells and BP on hulls for colored shells. I don't put a booster.

Edited by 50AE

I'm not going to venture into which is safer, although nitrate flashes seem less sensitive because it's less powerful. Nitrate flashes seem to burn slower which provides more of a burst than a shattering force which I feel is the main reason they are used more frequently.

I've tired a few different burst/booster combinations, and I agree with some of the previous replies.....for 3 to 5" shells, I use BP on hulls and then 1-1.5G of slow flash (50/30/20 - Nitrate/S/Al) as a booster. Assuming the correct pasting is done based on shell size, this combination gives the best all around break IMO.

I have and likely always will use:

Potassium Nitrate - 5

Sulfur - 3

Dark (8 micron) Al - 2

It works spectacularly well in shells up to 5 inch. I have not considered it necessary for anything larger, but I imagine it would to just fine if your usual break is still somehow to weak for that size of shell.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, to boost the shells with this flash I'll usually just dust the break with the flash after it has been dumped in the shell. I then tap the casing lightly a few times to settle it. I also like this composition because it goes light on the valuable dark Al.

Would using 3 micron Al affect the performance? I've been told the smaller the particle size the better. Does this mean the smaller the particle the more sensitive?

It'd be about equal assuming the same particle shape. When you get this fine, it makes little difference. Indian Blackhead is listed as 8 micron, while German blackhead is usually listed around 3-5 micron. They both preform about the same. Depending on who you ask, you'll get different answers as to which is more powerful or loud. I honestly wouldn't bother with hot Al for a slow flash. I use -325 mesh dark flake (Eckhart 10890) for my slow flash. I think it lights stuff a bit better.

I honestly wouldn't bother with hot Al for a slow flash. I use -325 mesh dark flake (Eckhart 10890) for my slow flash. I think it lights stuff a bit better.

I purchased, on a common auction site, Al that is less than technical grade, but is pure and roughly -350 mesh It works great for thermite!, but it doesn’t work (at all) for small amounts of KCLO4 flash powder. For slow flash, this might be a resource?

Skycastlfish