APC Forum

Hang Drum

NightHawkInLight

So, I've built myself something interesting:

A few months back I stumbled across a video blog by a moderately well known musician. I watched for a few minutes as this person talked about a new album before picking up a very interesting instrument. It appeared to be some sort of steel drum in the shape of a UFO. Unsure of what to expect, I kept watching and was blown away by the sweet percussive tones coming from this strange instrument. It was played with the hands, which just made it seem all the more exotic.

I forgot about this video until about a month ago when I came across another video:

"Flippin sweet!" I says to myself. I finally figured out that this instrument was called a hang drum, and decided I had to have one. It didn't take long after that to find out that there's just no way to get your hands on one directly from where they are made currently, and therefore buying them second hand is absurdly costly.

With that in mind I did more research to see if it was possible to make one. As of yet there is not the slightest shred of information regarding their construction online (Something I plan to soon change when I perfect the methods, but moving on)

I instead found this excellent page about making more traditional steel drums: http://www.hotpans.se/pan/tuning/pdf/

I made the adjustments I thought I would need to change the design and out came what I show in the video. It's pounded straight out of the bottom of a 55 gallon drum, as any steel pan would be.

I did not make a resonator for the bottom half because i made mistakes with this drum and I know it. I'm going to make yet another and get it right before I go through the extra trouble of making a resonator.

So, that's it. Just kinda a cool project I've been working on. If you want to know more about Hang Drums check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_%28musical_instrument%29

OK great hang! Now you have to design the special charge to mass produce them by explosive forming!!

Haha, right. I'll get to that ^_^