APC Forum

tape mod on ballmill

stormyweathers

i tried taping up my driveshaft on my ball mill to max out the RPMs, however the tape keeps sliding off.

This gives me a gradual decrease in speed, and eventually clogs the rod from spinning.

is anyone else get that problem?

how can i fix it?

i tried taping up my driveshaft on my ball mill to max out the RPMs, however the tape keeps sliding off.

This gives me a gradual decrease in speed, and eventually clogs the rod from spinning.

is anyone else get that problem?

how can i fix it?

Yes Sir,

Use a quality duct tape instead of the electrical tape..

-t

I used duck tape as well. I used a razor blade to make the cuts. My barrel is about 5 inches wide, and I opted to place tape on two places. I was careful to put equal amounts of tape right beside each other, so that the barrel was not forced to roll one way or the other. I also made sure to get the end of the tape laid down real flat and smooth. Enjoy Your milling!!

Robert

Also try reversing the direction of the wraps so that when in operation, the rotation is going with the wraps of the tape. That will keep it from coming off, even if it were not sticky at all.

Also try reversing the direction of the wraps so that when in operation, the rotation is going with the wraps of the tape. That will keep it from coming off, even if it were not sticky at all.

Winner winner-Chicken Dinner!

Winner winner-Chicken Dinner!

Been having too much of 'em painkillers to pass time ay? :lol:

Edited by Ventsi

Been having too much of 'em painkillers to pass time ay? :lol:

Actually, I have not needed any since yesterday afternoon. I'm happy about that. Seems the wrap with the direction of the rolling was something that should have been brought up right outta the gate.

Not knocking the painkillers mind you. I just will have a reserve for "bad days" now :{)

Actually, I have not needed any since yesterday afternoon. I'm happy about that. Seems the wrap with the direction of the rolling was something that should have been brought up right outta the gate.

Not knocking the painkillers mind you. I just will have a reserve for "bad days" now :{)

The tape wrap in the proper direction is an excellent Idea, However one will find that if you attempt to build up enough electrical tape (say 1/4" worth) - even if wrapped in the "proper" direction, the tape will eventually start "coning" down the drive shaft. At least on my cheap HF 2 bottle mill, this result is inevitable using electrical tape. The problem was solved instantly by using duct tape (which was much wider, thus more "adhesive" surface area, thus eliminating the creep/cone effect. 100%)

I would advise anyone using the "tape" method to increase the size of the drive roller to avoid Electrical tape all together.

-t

There is a special silicone rubber tape that has amazing properties. It's not even sticky, simply tacky. What you do is wrap this stuff so that it makes contact with itself, and the rubber molecules migrate and turn the entire wrap into a solid mass that cannot be unwound - it has to be cut off. It has the added benefit of being really tacky when cleaned with alcohol, so it provides a nice traction surface.

It's kind of expensive, but is the ultimate tape for this sort of thing. Here it is at Harbor Freight, among other sources:

HF silicone tape

There is a special silicone rubber tape that has amazing properties. It's not even sticky, simply tacky. What you do is wrap this stuff so that it makes contact with itself, and the rubber molecules migrate and turn the entire wrap into a solid mass that cannot be unwound - it has to be cut off. It has the added benefit of being really tacky when cleaned with alcohol, so it provides a nice traction surface.

It's kind of expensive, but is the ultimate tape for this sort of thing. Here it is at Harbor Freight, among other sources:

HF silicone tape

In the navy, we used it to water proof all of the cannon plugs on the A-6 Intruder. Worked great in place of shrink tubing.

In the navy, we used it to water proof all of the cannon plugs on the A-6 Intruder. Worked great in place of shrink tubing.

Hahaha... the pesky Cannon plug - In my 20 years as a commercial airline pilot, I have had more mechanics come out to the plane and repair whatever write up I have by doing something to a cannon plug...

ie: Reseated cannon plug IAW AMM 123.4567: no further action required .., or: Flushed flap actuator servo cannon plug with electro wash, no further action...

or the most common of all repairs: "Oh yeah, that... well *that* was caused by a loose cannon plug. it's all set now...."

heh :)

• 1 month later...
Also, you might want to use rubber O-rings, two on each roller to drematicly help, you'll need to wrap some tape on both sides of each ring to prevent it form sliding.