APC Forum

Did I just discover a new strobe comp?

stug161

I came across a pound of Mg/Al in the 700 mesh range pretty fine stuff Thought I would try to do something good with it. I mixed up one gram of it, with one gram of granulated sugar, and added two grams of Strontium Nitrate. I kind of mixed them together, and tried a small amount. It of course flashed too quickly, although it was super red. So I decided to try something else. I added some vaseline.. It takes fire pretty easy, and it strobes at a fairly decent rate. Is this a new find? It seems kind of inconsistent, and that may be due to my lack of good mixing..

Thanks, Robert

Lots of good information there! Thanks. My biggest deal is that I was using -650 Mg/Al, and was still able to get a decent strobe. I know there is a big difference between my 30-60 and my 100-200 and this stuff is 600-700. I didnt think it would actually strobe at all. Im going to work with it a bit more this evening.

Thanks, Robert

Cool, I'd be interested to hear the results. That is pretty fine stuff to be getting a decent strobe from - what kind of strobe rate are we talking here? Is it more of a shimmer than a strobe?

It was fewer than 1 HZ. I would say it was probably 3 part comp to 1 part vaseline. Again, it may just have been a clumpy pile that was intermediate burning, but it did seem to be fairly steady. I will have more info by morning.

Thanks, Robert