APC Forum

CA ristrictions

saskwche

Sorry For creating a new thread on this but does anyone have a link of California's restrictions to fireworks cause if looked several times and i cant find any decent info and if I do find anything its usually really outdated. Im asking because my moms always complaining that im going to get into trouble and i also want to know what i can and cant do cause i've had previous run in's with the law regarding fireworks so i want to prevent that cause im looking forward to pursuing a career in the field of pyrotechnics or some type of explosives research.

Sorry For creating a new thread on this but does anyone have a link of California's restrictions to fireworks cause if looked several times and i cant find any decent info and if I do find anything its usually really outdated. Im asking because my moms always complaining that im going to get into trouble and i also want to know what i can and cant do cause i've had previous run in's with the law regarding fireworks so i want to prevent that cause im looking forward to pursuing a career in the field of pyrotechnics or some type of explosives research.

California Fireworks Laws CONSUMER FIREWORKS Specifically Permitted Consumer Fireworks not specifically prohibited (size limitations specified.) Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers, skyrockets, rockets, roman candles, chasers, sparklers over 10"or ¼ diameter, surprise items, friction items, torpedoes, items resembling food, fireworks containing arsenic, phosphorus, thiocyanates magnesium (magnesium alloys permitted), mercury salts, picrates or picric acid, gallates or gallic acid, chlorates, (except those of alkali or earth metals), boron, titanium (except larger than 100 mesh), zirconium, gunpowder, and fireworks kits. Selling Period Noon, June 28, through noon, July 6. Sale Items for sale must be of a type approved by the State Fire Marshal. Salesperson's minimum age is 18 years. Age of Purchase 16 years old.

DISPLAY FIREWORKS Display Permit Apply to State Fire Marshal prior to application to local authorities. After obtaining state license apply to local authorities at least 10 days before display date. "Special" state license authorizes displays at single site only at any time, $350 fee. "General" state license allows the holding and conducting of public displays of dangerous fireworks at various locations and at various times, $200 fee. "General" and "Special" licenses must report all contemplated displays to State Fire Marshal before display date, and file a post display report with the California State Fire Marshal. Insurance Required. Minimum $1,000,000 combined single limits (personal/property) per occurrence annually, may have $15,000 deductible. Operator State license required, apply to State Fire Marshal. Fee $75-$250 dependent on license classification. Written exam and evidence as to qualifications and experience is required.

MANUFACTURE, STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION Fireworks must be classified and registered by the State Fire Marshal. State seal of registration must be applied to all classified fireworks. Labeling, record keeping, transportation, manufacturing and storage safety requirements specified in law. Employees may be registered with the State Fire Marshal.

LICENSING State licenses required annually, apply to State Fire Marshal. Valid July 1 through June 30 of the following year. Apply for renewal between January 1 and May 1. License number to be affixed to each order and invoice. Exception: retail license valid only during selling period. Apply to State Fire Marshal on or before June 15.

Manufacturer $ 1500

Wholesaler $ 3000

Importer/Exporter $ 4500

Retail Permit $ 50

Dealer in agricultural items $ 500

Snap cap/party popper

Distributor $ 750

ENFORCING AUTHORITY State Fire Marshal

State of California

P.O. Box 944246

Sacramento, CA 94244-2460

916-445-8373

http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/

LAW NUMBER State Health and Safety Code, Part 2, Chapter 1

Section 12500 et seq.

California Admin Code, Title 19, subchapter 6

Edited by dagabu

"Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers, skyrockets, rockets, roman candles, chasers, sparklers over 10"or ¼ diameter, surprise items, friction items, torpedoes, items resembling food, fireworks containing arsenic, phosphorus, thiocyanates magnesium (magnesium alloys permitted), mercury salts, picrates or picric acid, gallates or gallic acid, chlorates, (except those of alkali or earth metals), boron, titanium (except larger than 100 mesh), zirconium, gunpowder, and fireworks kits."

Haha, I wonder how that little detail came about :P

Also, who's the idiot that said no fireworks containing "gunpowder" are allowed? What on earth could they be trying to say "gunpowder" is? Nitrocellulose? Black powder? The ignorance in the common use of that word is mind numbing.

Thank you very much.

Looks like i cant make a damn thing lol (legally that is)

Edited by saskwche

You'd probably also need a federal manufacturing license too. From the sounds of your first post, it does not appear you meet the qualifications to get one.

You'd probably also need a federal manufacturing license too. From the sounds of your first post, it does not appear you meet the qualifications to get one.

Not exactly.

Almost got arrested once in middle school for selling illegal fireworks to minors and being in possession of them. I was like in 7th grade at the time and then last summer almost go caught on the 4th but it was the last of my fireworks so when the cops showed up had nothing left. I dont really make anything anymore but i was into making salutes and i had a friend who would make rockets but never really made any type of fireworks or explosives although i love watching and learning about them. and the past year ive been trying to learn more about how they are made but dont have money or time to make them seeing as I live in a state where they are very strict and I live around 2 cops and a probation officer lol.

Cant you clear your juvenal record when you turn 18 cause im pretty sure they just filed the report on the sales but never actually did anything. It be nice to casue im tying to get a internship with a company called Granite Rock so i could see if I could get a job doing some demolition :D

That primarily the reason I join sites like this so I can learn more before I make an attempt to get schooling in the field of demolition or pyrotechnics so thanks for the info about guys your really helping me out a lot.

Edited by saskwche

They're the ATF, "clearing" your record doesn't mean anything to them. I doubt it'd be an issue anyway. Only felonies, or crimes involving drugs, are the things they care about. Read the orange book if you're interested. It's available on the internet.

Anyway, I was talking about the fact that you have to be 21 to get a federal license.

They're the ATF, "clearing" your record doesn't mean anything to them. I doubt it'd be an issue anyway. Only felonies, or crimes involving drugs, are the things they care about. Read the orange book if you're interested. It's available on the internet.

Anyway, I was talking about the fact that you have to be 21 to get a federal license.

Oh so that means i got four years of schooling and training to do till i even get a shot at it lol.

Whats in the Orange book?

Oh so that means i got four years of schooling and training to do till i even get a shot at it lol.

Whats in the Orange book?

The orange book is the go-to guide for the ATF regulations on explosives. Very boring, very depressing, and very necessary.

The orange book is the go-to guide for the ATF regulations on explosives. Very boring, very depressing, and very necessary.

Yea i was reading it.

So since a lot of people here make fireworks do you guys have what they call Magazines (kind of like a bomb shelter or something to hold in the pressure from a explosion. Or are you guys doing your stuff illegally lol.'

Btw im not talking to just you talking to everyone who reads this.

There's a lot more too it than just 'illegal' or legal'. For example, if you don't have a MFG license, making fireworks and producing them for your personal non-business use is legal. However, there's nothing you can do with them if they are illegal in your state. You can't even legally transport them to a place that is legal, not without a license at least.

And about the magazine...Keep in mind that if it was ment to hold in the pressure, then what happens when you try to open it again? (Boom). Honestly I do not know the exact purpose of a mag but I do know one reason is to prevent theft.

There's a lot more too it than just 'illegal' or legal'. For example, if you don't have a MFG license, making fireworks and producing them for your personal non-business use is legal. However, there's nothing you can do with them if they are illegal in your state. You can't even legally transport them to a place that is legal, not without a license at least.

And about the magazine...Keep in mind that if it was ment to hold in the pressure, then what happens when you try to open it again? (Boom). Honestly I do not know the exact purpose of a mag but I do know one reason is to prevent theft.

Hey firetech its been a while lol.

So i cant even make them here if i was completely legal?

Well, you can't be completely legal, so it doesn't matter. If you did have a license (federal, state, and local), you could in theory make anything you wanted, and "test" them on your property. If you are just making salutes, or attempting to make any sort of high explosive, you will quickly get your license revoked and get a federal shit storm on your ass. Seems kind of counter intuitive that if you have a HE manufacturing permit, you in all reality can't make HE's.

Well, you can't be completely legal, so it doesn't matter. If you did have a license (federal, state, and local), you could in theory make anything you wanted, and "test" them on your property. If you are just making salutes, or attempting to make any sort of high explosive, you will quickly get your license revoked and get a federal shit storm on your ass. Seems kind of counter intuitive that if you have a HE manufacturing permit, you in all reality can't make HE's.

What if you work for a company :D

You still would not be able to manufacture anything at home right?

Would you i be qualified to do anything of this if i left the state and had previously worked in demolition?

Edited by saskwche

It's just that. On your property, you are allowed to test the devices that you have created. No permit needed, such as would be the case if you were to be putting on a show. I mean, you can't help it you have to test out half a dozen big multibreak shells on the 4th of July can you? PGI is right around the corner :)

It's just that. On your property, you are allowed to test the devices that you have created. No permit needed, such as would be the case if you were to be putting on a show. I mean, you can't help it you have to test out half a dozen big multibreak shells on the 4th of July can you? PGI is right around the corner :)

In Minnesota, ALL fireworks that are hand made, hobbyist or other are 1.3. We cannot display our testing since MN considers all displays to be public and you have to have (deep breath) have a Fed license, state display license, local permit ($200.00 min), carry a $10,000,000.00 policy and dont disturb the peace. Even safe and sane are subject to local laws

Join a club, build while at club events, shoot them there, stay legal, stay green!

Dave