APC Forum

Some newbie questions

Megladon

I've asked a few people on youtube these questions with mixed results, so I'm hoping asking here will get me a wider range (or better) of answers. Big thanks to the 1 that did answer on youtube and posts here Nighthawkinlight.

Here's a quick thing about me so you know where I'm coming from. I'm quite the newbie at this, I live in an appartment (when i'm in the US) so I cant make any fireworks at home yet. Also due to my work (I'm in Pakistan) I'm not able to make anything here. I've begun reading books on fireworks safety and making my own black powder, but again havnt been able to actuly get my hands dirty yet

Eventuly I would like to build and display my own fireworks for my job, if not full time atleast part time. Do you see this as something that would bring in enough income that would be more then just a hobby? I currently live in the midwest if that matters.

Also I'm noticing in alot of youtube videos people are using Chinese made fireworks for professional shows. Are they that much cheaper where there isnt a demand for domesticly made fireworks made by professionals?

Do you have the ATF blast license, and would you reccomend someone such as myself get one? Why or why not?

Is there anything else that I should have asked but dont know enough yet to ask that you can tell me?

Thanks for your time

You need to learn the relevant laws of one country. You need a lot of money, space and salesmanship however yes there is money to be made but the risk is high.

MOST people in the world display Chinese fireworks because of the cost of all the others. In the UK 98% of the fireworks are imported and probably 90% of those come from China.

Basically a Chinese 3" shell costs £1 in the UK but a UK made 3" shell costs £5. The general public does not appreciate the difference

With big fireworks there may be a shipping premium so Home country built 8" and larger may become viable.

Edited by Arthur

Unfortunately for many of us aspiring pyros, it's hard to make a living at it, unless you own the company. I used to work at one, and it'd be difficult to support oneself on the income as a laborer. Given some recent events in china that may change soon. You'd have to be proficient at making big shells though, 8" and above. Even the chances of getting into this field isn't easy. You'd have to get an in somehow. Working at a display company is a good way. Introductions can be made from there. There are also a lot of firework clubs in the midwest that can help out with both the building, licensing, and company contacts. Building for a display company is a good way to get into thing. A lot have the same ideas that you do, so perhaps you can get hooked up with them.

There is a place that builds pyro in Montana, Florida, California, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri and at various places around the US.

Whether or not you get paid for it, being licensed is good, and is a first step toward your final goal. Once you have a license, it's much easier to move to a bigger facility or whatever if you need to.

Yes, even though they have to come all the way from china, they're cheaper than anything domestically made, save for large or specialty shells. Things have changed, and it may be impossible to get get 8" or larger shells from now on, so they are really the only place where it might be economical.

Edit:

To add to what Authur said, it is very expensive to get started in the manufacturing business. I've seen estimates close to a million dollars to start off with. This takes care of licensing, land, magazines, employees, buildings and infrastructure, chemicals and tools, and enough time to start an initial run of shells. This is why it is recommended to get good at the big stuff first.

Yes, even though they have to come all the way from china, they're cheaper than anything domestically made, save for large or specialty shells. Things have changed, and it may be impossible to get get 8" or larger shells from now on, so they are really the only place where it might be economical.

I'm sorry I'm abit out of the loop, what happened in china that makes them not make/export 8" shells anymore? Got a link to a news story? I lived in Beijing 07-08 so I enjoy news on china when I can get it

There was an explosion in a warehouse or port or something like that, and the UN reclassified larger shells as 1.1g, which is the high explosive classification and represents a "mass explosion hazard". It's more likely the shells were stored incorrectly, and there was a fire, which will eventually set off all fireworks. There was something else about ports not accepting fireworks anymore, but that didn't seem to happen.

http://www.fireworkstown.com/NewsDtls.asp?Id=2727

http://www.china.org.cn/english/China/242709.htm