APC Forum

Made a great fountain

Mario1

Ok. I just made my first fountain that produced a good effect. Heres the comp

Potassium Nitrate 74

Willow Charcoal 14

Sulfur 12

Aluminum flakes. Like a couple grams.

I then used about 10-12 grams of the composition for the fountain.

I used a 3/4 in ID tube that was 2 inches long. The nozzle was made with Fresh step kitty litter. It shot sparks about 6 feet high for about 5-6 seconds. Golden and silver sparks btw.

My question is how do I made this fountain last longer? Say 10-30 seconds. Add baking soda? Thanks!

Thanks Mumbles.

Another quick question- How do I make a crackling effect. Like when the sparks crackle and make noise. Thanks.

They're called dragon eggs. It's a special composition that would be added as microstars. Additionally Titanium and maybe coarse MgAl, make a crackling type of effect.

You can try. It is a bit heavier on the charcoal than I was intending, but I've heard of it working before. You might want to try something more intermediate between tiger tail. and essentially meal. Something on the order of C6 or C8 might be good. They are on the above site I gave you if you go back to the beginning and get to the star category instead of fountains.

There is no point in adding baking soda. Since you seem to have your mind set on it, I can't stop you. Just think about it this way. You can slow it down and add nothing to the effect (baking soda). Or you can slow it down, and add additional sparks and flame (charcoal). Now that I think of it, baking soda might make it more prone to explode by adding unneeded slag. Eh, I suppose excess charcoal would do the same thing to an extent.