APC Forum

solvents for pvc?

popi1955

any one have a list of solvents of pvc? ones that arent so hard to find? (unlike thf)

simply hydrocarbons? fuel? something i may creat at home?

if anyone have information about whats the solubility of pvc in some solvents that would be helpfull to

any one have a list of solvents of pvc? ones that arent so hard to find? (unlike thf)

simply hydrocarbons? fuel? something i may creat at home?

if anyone have information about whats the solubility of pvc in some solvents that would be helpfull to

acetone and mek will work

but as it is brittle it dosnt work well as a binder (better than some things people pass off as binders) but i would just use a water soluble binder like dextrin or sgrs or if your fealing upmarket gum arabic

You could try substituting parlon. That dissolves easily in most alcohols, and acetone, and is a strong binder, and chlorine donor.

Cyclohexanone dissolves PVC. Look for "Boxer 100" swimming pool repair glue. Look also for the primer sold for cleaning PVC pipe before solvent welding it -that's largely MEK I think.

"PVC Cleaner" as used for solvent welding is usually a mix of acetone, MEK, and sometimes THF. If you can find the primer, though, as Arthur mentioned, it will work better, if you can find the type that is not dyed.

I think dichlormethane disolves pvc as well as THF and MEK, but In my experience PVC didin't disolve for me in acetone. Edited by PyroMan LTU

<br />I think dichlormethane disolves pvc as well as THF and MEK, but In my experience PVC didin't disolve for me in acetone.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have used MEK with success. I will have to try some acetone when I get home tonight to see how it does. Will report back.