APC Forum

My milled BP is really FAST!

stug161

So I had 7 samples of my BP. Green mix, then milled 5 minutes, 1 HR, 3 HR, 4.5 HR, 12 HR, 24HR.

I left it on while I was at work. When I got home, it seemed to be tumbling rather loudly. Come to find out, all of my powder was stuck to the back(Bottom) of the barrel. Darn.. So I poured my 2 gram samples out on my test platform. I used my hand torch to light them. Of course, the green mix just burned. The 5 min was about the same. It of course slowly got better. I think the 24 HR was better than the twelve, so I am guessing it ran 18 Hrs, then stopped milling. But for sure, the long milled batch was a big POOF! Instant. Just like my FFg powder I bought. Just used Skylighter airfloat, so nothing to spectacular, but It is good to know it works, and to see the results first hand!!

Thanks, Robert

Now I have to find more Stuff I can mill!!

If you are going to be leaving it on at work...

I hope you have it set up such that (1) nobody wandering through has access to it (or else it is out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere enough that nobody will wander through), and (2) such that a mill explosion would not require immediate attention (like putting out fires and such).

Excellent points! Thank You! My wife was home through the day, and I have a perfect little lean to, up against the garden shed. Keeps it covered and it is pretty isolated. Nobody else near by so that is covered. Now if only I can make do with my 125 gram batch!!

Thanks, Robert

Hi stug161,

Can you take a video of your BP of 24h milling?in powder form not granules.make a 3cm line not a batch.I want to see how fast is it because i run my mill for 2hours max and i have fast powder..

Yeah, same for me. My mill, one of those yellow ones from pyrodirect, can make lift powder in 6 hours where I can use 1/15 or less of the weight of the shell. On a good day 1/18 of the shell. Also helps that I use paulownia. And if your BP is sticking in the barrel, it means some of your chems, media, or the barrel are slightly damp. For me, it's usually the charcoal. I put it in the oven at 175 for about 10 minutes to dry it out, and then I can mill without clumping.

Pyro George. Do you have a true mill, or just a tumbler. Two hours seems pretty fast!! Not the best lighting. The first is a 1.5 inch line, the next is what was left in the spoon, maybe fourteen inches.

Robert

I milled mine for 15 hours, and it seemed to act like FP, Far more intense then any powder i hand milled. I just made some firecracker fuse to see how it works. it burnt about .5s per inch( i had a six inch strip) and the fuse was 1mm or less thick. I cant wait to use it in shells!(not talking about the fuse, talking about the BP)

the only problem in my (roughly)150g batch, i used 25, .66oz musket balls, i weighed before and after milling, and the balls lost .50oz in total ( about .02oz each ball)....

Pyro George. Do you have a true mill, or just a tumbler. Two hours seems pretty fast!! Not the best lighting. The first is a 1.5 inch line, the next is what was left in the spoon, maybe fourteen inches.

Robert

yes it is really fast..mine isn't like yours but i have no problems to lift shell.

here is my ball mill

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?s...80&start=80

Lead balls do wear :( if you cna find hardened balls with antimony alloyed with the lead the wear will be less. Look for the weights that tyre fitters remove when changing tyres. Just melt them and all be steel hooks float and get skimmed off.

pyrogeorge, thats nice ball mill setup you have. where did you find all of those pulleys? The only place i have come up with for pulleys is the auto parts stores for idler pulleys and such.

thanks poorboy,if you need pulleys try at industrial species stores.i think that i wrote it correct in english.Here in Greece this is the name of the stores.

• 2 weeks later...