APC Forum

SMOKE BOMB COMPOSITION

irazboubi

Hello, I have 2 questions concerning the manufacture of fumigants KNO3 + sugar

- The addition of organic dyes does it add color to the smoke ? (See colors on the following link, sorry if the site is in french !: http://www.pigmentplus.com/pigments%20organiques.html )

-Has this make a paste with the mixture (by heating in a pan) is essential for the functioning of smoke ?

Thanks !

OK...

Question 1--From all that I have read, and seen, it is not possible to make colored smoke using the KNO3 compositions. It burns too hot, and burns the dye, rather than dispersing it. Go with a clorate-based smoke system.

Question 2--You can just powder the KNO3 and Sugar together. This will make an acceptable smoke. Melting creates more smoke, but is dangerous, especially when done over an open flame.

There was a way to make the smoke a brownish color. I can't remember though.

For color KClO3+lactose+dye make some good smokes.

Instead of "especially dangerous over an open flame", how about never melt it over an open flame. It's just asking for trouble.

Thank you for your advice on the danger of melting the mix ! :D

There is a video on youtube.com where the smoke produces a beautiful color and that's with an organic dye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuKN7dXIeR0

-Can you tell me how to find these organic dyes ?

-Are these organic dyes are the same as those used in the building to color the facades ?

Thanks !

That video has been proven to be fake. A good starting point for colored smokes would be getting some antraquinone based dyes, like disperse blue #120. I do have a good source for such dyes but the guy who told me doesn't want me to pass it on. Give it a little bit of Google and you should be able to find the particular website though.

See

for the blue smoke bomb I made a while ago.

Hi Miech,

I can not find on the internet the dye you use in your smoke blue.

Can you tell me the site that proposes?

Does anyone know of other colors that work in smoke because I would like to buy.

Thanks

Hello, if this can help you, I just learned that the dyes used for smoke are oganic Disperse Dyes (powder).

Unfortunately I found no site where you can buy these dyes.

Actually it is possible to make a smoke bomb have color with kno3. Using Sodium Bicarbinate aka Baking soda. It slows down how fast it burns allowing you to use organic dye to add color.

And by the way you can easily get organic dye from food store all over the place.

Edited by Mario1

Actually it is possible to make a smoke bomb have color with kno3. Using Sodium Bicarbinate aka Baking soda. It slows down how fast it burns allowing you to use organic dye to add color.

And by the way you can easily get organic dye from food store all over the place.

Have you actually tried an NO3 based coloured smoke or food dye?

I have heard both claims before but I have yet to see anyone say that they themselves have done it and it works.

I know I paid decent money for a kit from skylighter, Blue Smoke Bomb Kit. It will not work worth a damn! They do not want to help me. It is Chlorate, and they gave me the wrong formula.. Go figure..

<snip>

Can you tell me the site that proposes?

Thanks

I can't make it easier than this :) .

Colored smokes based on KNO3 just don't work, nor with baking soda, neither without. Without baking soda the burning temperature will be way to high as said before. With baking soda however, either the flame is extinguished to the temperature is still too high. Adding baking soda in a large enough quantity to keep it just burning without dye results in a huge amount of slag being produced.

Edited by Miech

i heard that one person made blue smoke with cement dye..but with chlorate and lactose,not kno3

You say the solution is not to use KNO3 but chlorate.This is strange because the temperature of chlorate(2500 °C) is higher than the KNO3.

Can you give me the recipe for smoke bomb with chlorate.Do you know the place where i can purchase the appropriate dye for this smoke bomb?

Thanks !

PS: skylighter.com offers kit but they are expensive, again I have already more than 2 kg of chlorate.

It remains for me to find the dye to test.

Composition:

30 Potassium Chlorate

40 Lactose

30 Dye (antraquinone or aniline based)

Click the link in my previous post, and then the most obvious out of the search results. That's a good source for a reasonable price, about 20 to 30 bucks a pound.

I don't know where you got the 2500 celcius figure, but it's nowhere near a realistic temperature. These smoke devices stay well below 1000C. I wouldn't be suprised to hear that they function below 250C.

Most colored smokes start with a relatively standard composition.

5 - Dye

3 - Chlorate

2 - Lactose

5% carbonate is often added to further cool it. Make modifications as needed to optimize the smoke.

You'll probably have to do your own leg work on the dye. I'm only able to assist with suppliers in the US, and it doesn't seem like anyone else can or is willing to help elsewhere.

• 12 years later...

If Dye KClO3 Lactose washed out the color. Burned at too high a temperature and it smelled like burnt rubber. A colder composition what fixed in my case this issue. It worked for all tried colored smoke dyes for smoke bombs Purple: Rodamin B, Red: Solvent Red 111 C15H11NO2, Blue: solvent blue 78, C16H142O2,Orange: Solvent Orange 60 C18H10N2O,. If it doesn't work for someone maybe the dye are unsuitable for smoke bombs.

36% Smoke Dye, 27% Potassium Chlorate KClO3, 18% Lactose, 19% Magnesium Carbonate,

Very important the MgCO3 (coolant), lactose (sucrose are too hot), special Dye for smoke, KClO3. If something is changed or missing, it will burns much hot the composition. Without MgCO3 the composition did not worked in my case with orange Smoke Dye.

[video=

]