APC Forum

What tubes work good for pumping stars?

stug161

I have been making small stars to shoot one at a time in my back yard. I got the smallest CPVC water pipe I could get. It measures .500 ID. I am now ready to make smaller stars to fill my 3" shells I am starting soon! Can anyone direct me towards a good type of tube or pipe maybe 3/8 ID to pump stars through?

Thanks, Robert

I think you should try to 'cutting' your stars, it is alot quicker then pumping one by one.

if u have a ball mill try to put some sort of jar on it and roll stars, you can get them any size u need and it goes really fast.

Cut stars are the cheapest for tooling costs! Damp the comp and roll like pastry, then cut into squares. Some comps stick to the work surface more than others so dry them on something like paper or sandwich wrap.

I would also suggest using cut stars, but suitable star pumps can be built from very basic aluminum, brass etc. tubes. Measure the I.D. and look for a suitably sized rod, that will fit into the tube without force, but which doesn´t leave a visible gap. Hardware stores are a good place to look for such things. Once you cut the stuff to lenght, it will be easy to file in a slot and fix a stop pin. Voilà.

I suppose I wrote my message a bit odd. I am actually making about 15 stars at a time. I just keep packing the comp into the tube until it starts coming out the back end. Then I use a dowel to eject it onto either a meal covered sheet, or onto parchment paper. Then cut them into pieces. So far it seems to work well for me. I can have a 200 gram batch completely pumped in about five minutes. I am going to the big hardware store today to see if I can find some smaller tube.

Thanks, Robert

Stug, thats what I do. I take, for my colored stars a 1/4 inch PVC pipe, and a solid rod that fits inside. I slightly wet my stars in a bowl, and repeatedly shove the tube into the comp until it is almost filled. I insert the rod, and compress the comp, using my finger as a plug, with body pressure. I then push out the comp, make notches into it, and break it into pieces along the notches. Then I prime it. My stars always always seem to hold up.

• 2 months later...

You might try buying a cheap funnel set and your local super market for around 3 bucks, i got three for $4. the smallest is roughly 3/8", thats the one i use for my 1.5" can shells. i just load it with comp (I've only used TT) and push it out with my fingers, it gets a bit messy but works fine, and it VERY fast!

Hope this helps