APC Forum

Star Placement in Ball Shells

jrin0630

I have a general question about star placement in ball shells.....specifically 3". I recently made a few 3" tiger tail shells with 3/8" pumped stars. I stacked the stars up and down and sideway's against the hemi walls as best I could leaving enough space in the middle for the burst charge. However, I'm still only using about 50-60 stars total. It seems to be okay because when I close the shell, it's pretty solid. No noticable rattling around. I have heard that 3" shells should take about 100 stars. Is that for all stars? Or smaller ones? Or ones that are cut versus pumped? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? thanks.

I have a general question about star placement in ball shells.....specifically 3". I recently made a few 3" tiger tail shells with 3/8" pumped stars. I stacked the stars up and down and sideway's against the hemi walls as best I could leaving enough space in the middle for the burst charge. However, I'm still only using about 50-60 stars total. It seems to be okay because when I close the shell, it's pretty solid. No noticable rattling around. I have heard that 3" shells should take about 100 stars. Is that for all stars? Or smaller ones? Or ones that are cut versus pumped? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? thanks.

If you want more stars then you simply make them smaller. Star size depends on the burn rate. 3/8" TT should be fine in a 3" shell, so as long as you fit them in as tightly as possible that is all you can do. I think for colour stars 1/4" is a good size for 3" ball shells.

Edited by Bonny

It's not that specific, what matters is what you described, no empty spaces and no rattling. I all depends on the star size as you probably guessed already.

One layer of stars against the hemi is fine. If you use small stars there are more but shorter lived stars. If you use fewer but bigger slower burning stars they will break then FALL -too long lived and they will fall hot to the ground. which spreads fire and complaints.