APC Forum

I cannot get my skylighter smoke mix to work!

stug161

Ok, I ordered a blue smoke bomb kit from skylighter. It came with directions to mix 73% mix with 27% Potassium Chlorate. I tried un sucessfully with a few different batches. I finally wrote and asked for assistance. Four days later they wrote to tell me that the ratio listed was wrong, and that I should mix it 65/35. I have tried everything I can to get it to work properly, but it still wont burn. If I try to add just a bit more Chlorate, like 63/37, the whole thing burns up, not smokes. Is there a secret I am missing? Since I tried to order potassium perchlorate on my first order, I had a red flag. Then one month and $250 later, I placed an order that had some 10890 aluminum on it, so I was red flagged a second time. Then again, a month and two more orders later, I had an order with bentonite, 60 mesh charcoal, and some granular Mg/Al, and I was permanently barred from the sight. Now they will not return my emails, and the extra tub of KCLO3 to make up for the shortage they said they would send never came. Pretty frustrating. Guess I didnt spend enough on tooling. Thanks, Robert

They say that they do make exceptions after they have flagged you because there are legitimate reasons for the chems that got flagged when you ordered. Just call them up, they always answer.

I'm unsure about the second part, but sounds bad.

If the smoke comp burns too quickly try something to control the burn rate such as sodium bicarbonate. Or use a slower mix and something like red iron oxide to speed it up.

I order from them alot, there customer service is wonderful. I always(if i plan on buying an item that may result in a read flag) send an email prior to buying it, stating what its intended to be used for, and if they have any sudgestions on what else i could make. I do buy stuff from skylighter ( becouse of there 365 day chemical garentee) but i've found hobby chemical supply to be cheaper, so i get most of my expensive items there ( qualitys sometimes not as good as skylighter but i've not ran across many problems)

sorry about the flagging you, that just sucks, but Firetech is right, give them a call. If they dont answer, I have Lori Kings (where house superviser i think) email, and i would be glad to get in touch with her if need be.