APC Forum

Making bright flare stars with Mg

stug161

Just really getting into some star making and testing. It is proving to be quite exciting. I am interested in making some bright stars, like flares. One of my favorite formulas is

Ba NO3 51

S 19

Mg 18

KNO3 7

Dextrin 5

It is extremely bright when burned in the open for sure. I have been using Mg turnings, but for stars I would use some -100. However in regards to making stars, I am unsure of using water for the dextrin, or the Nitrate with the Mg at all. Maybe I can find a formula that has red gum as a binder, and Pot. Perc. for the oxidezer. Even if it is not as bright at the mix I have her( a blesser variety i believe) it should still work well.

Thanks, Robert

if you have red gum, just substitute it. Or use a chlorinated binder like parlon, pvc, or saran.

I wouldnt worry about the Mg and NO3 especially if you use one of the latter binders. This is basically a mutt of a flash mixture here, but it will be slowed down greatly with the binder. It wont be like an AP blue by all means, but as long as you dont store your stars for long, or introduce them to friction, you should have a great star comp. It will for sure be very bright, and powerful with the sulfur. I would coat the Mg for more peace of mind.

As far as changing oxidizer, I wouldnt worry about it.

a chlorinated binder as you call it like parlon ,pvc or saran will turn it into a green comp and they are all retardants so will slow it down and make it less bright

The preparation for this mix would be improved if the Mg was passivated in some way to retard any reaction with nitrates. If you have Potasium dichromate the you cna chromate passivate the Mg. Otherwise something like a drying (linseed) oil soaked into the MG then let it dry spread out finely.

Often a correct formula will be greatly improved by the correct method of preparation and mixing of the ingredients.