APC Forum

Really cheap KCLO4--is it for real?

TheEskimo

Ok, go to this link: http://www.americanpyrosupply.com/PYROTECH..._ANTI_CAKE.html

Here's me question: Why is this so cheap? I have seen lots of other KP, and they're all in the 7-10 dollar/pound range. On the same site, they have 8-9 dollar KP. Is this because they use TCP instead of Cab-O-Sil, or is it because they just got a really good deal on KP?

Don't know if this helps...but bulk Perc is really cheap...like $2 a pound cheap @ 100 lbs. Not the milled product though. Of course these suppliers have to charge an arm and a leg to stay in business, but I imagine it's entirely possible to still be profitable at that price.

I'm not sure why there is a price difference between the two similar products on the same site, though.

It's really cheap because you're used to paying outrageous prices. As for why it is cheaper than the others, possibly because it's not custom milled like the other chinese perc.

Hmmm...I guess I'll just go with the cheaper stuff. And mumbles, both are milled to -325 mesh, or so they say.

call them and ask. the guy is down to earth and honest and actually knows what he is selling. i have done buisness with them before they are a real company.

Yup, they are real, its where I've been buying it this past year. I don't know where flying fish is getting it from but up here its Homeland Security registered and you have to sign for it.

Hmmm...I just ordered 12 pounds of it. I'll tell you guys what it's like.

Yup, they are real, its where I've been buying it this past year. I don't know where flying fish is getting it from but up here its Homeland Security registered and you have to sign for it.

That price was what I had heard at a recent club shoot. Someone was selling 110 lbs for $225. I didn't talk to the vendor myself, so I'm not sure whether it would have required paperwork.

I'm not sure if that is the "typical" price for bulk KClO4, since it is the only example of bulk KClO4 that I've ever been within "purchasing distance" of. Of course, I did not buy it. I already have 6 lbs, which is practically a lifetime supply for me (until I start making large whistle rockets of course :)).

Edited by flying fish

My perc is less than $1 per pound... Muhahahaha! Unfortunately, I have to work my ass off to make it. At $2 per pound for a drum, I'd do that long before attempting to make it in such quantity. The only reason I mess with it (making it) is because I enjoy the process.

$6 per pound in 1 lb increments is not a horrible hobbyist price. It could be worse. It could also be better.

I got it last night. One big lump, but it breaks apart fairly easily. I have no experience with this TCP anti-cake, so perhaps it's supposed to work like this.