APC Forum

pyrotechnic accidents

Vrizla

Hey everyone

I have a few questions to ask about pyrotechnic accidents. I'm still fairly new to this hobby. I have spent a lot of time reading books and pdf files on pyro projects. I have focused most of my reading on safety procedures. I was just about to stock up on supplies when I stumbled across a couple of posts on here that scared the pants off me. I hope I'm not opening any old wounds but I'm really curious to find out what happened so someone else or I don't make the same mistake. The two posts I read were about Tad K and Jim Freman. The posts I read didn't state the cause of either accident just speculation, I was wondering if they are still unknown. I'm very concerned. I don't know if I want to pursue this hobby any further. I was thinking about going back to school to take up chemistry, but if a 6 time PGI grand master can have an accident anyone can. Again I'm sorry if I opened any old wounds, and my prayers go out to Tad k's family, but if anyone has details on what happened, please let me know

Edited by Vrizla

The actual cause of Tad K's accident was never resolved. The only witness to it, Tad, died from his burns within a day or two.

As to Jim Freeman's accident, I missed the last WPAG meet where it was said he was going to talk about it.

Perhaps a WPAG member can pitch in here?

Both incidents, however, point out the main reason why we stress Safety above all else. A moment of carelessness, a safety rule not followed to the letter, and sometimes just plain bad luck, can add up to a tragic accident.

But it's *VERY* seldom that accidents like these are caused by just *ONE* thing going wrong. It's almost always a combination of events.

This is how things are in life. A car driver with 6 years experience can still have an accident for example. A big, life costing accident can be made from a chain of events, started by a very small, unsuspected one. Like they say, even the smallest creature can change the fate of the world ^_^.

Pyrotechnics can be very safe if you play by the rules. The problems are the potential devastating results that can happen if something goes wrong. There are two main sections for safety in pyrotechnics :

-Preventing the accident facts from happening

-Decreasing the damage done from the occurred facts

Edited by 50AE

Any accident that I have had (and I have had some scary ones, and one very expensive one) were all due to my carelessness, and/or lack of common sense. I have never, ever had something go wrong "just because". It was always due to me. So I would say, go ahead and do your stuff. Something has a minute chance of going off if you do everything properly, unless god gets up on the wrong side of the bed, and starts chucking random lightning bolts at your pyrotechnics. :P

Fireworks (like parachuting!) is NOT a safe hobby. Try stamp collecting for that. However if you work carefully there is a really good chance of you getting a safe and satisfying passtime.

The materials and products are all hazardous! If they didn't burn they wouldn't be fireworks! However with good technique they will only burn at the intended time.

However if you do have an accident it may not be small! That is why people have insurance and big insurance in the professional pyro industry.

Fireworks (like parachuting!) is NOT a safe hobby. Try stamp collecting for that. However if you work carefully there is a really good chance of you getting a safe and satisfying passtime.

The materials and products are all hazardous! If they didn't burn they wouldn't be fireworks! However with good technique they will only burn at the intended time.

However if you do have an accident it may not be small! That is why people have insurance and big insurance in the professional pyro industry.

Yes I know pyrotechnics can be dangerous. I knew that before I even started the smallest project. When you are making a composition in your work shop you have a lot more control of your environment then driving on a race track or jumping out of a plane. The reason I'm asking for details of what happened is for all of us to avoid a disaster. So thank you for the stamp collecting suggestion, but I'm looking for information not sarcasm.

Edited by Vrizla

The most reliable sources I know about Tad's accident seem to believe it was caused by chlorates. He had been discussing working with them, and some compositions in the weeks leading up to the accident. He was relatively new to the hobby, which is one of the reasons I absolutely hate seeing people work with chlorates so early. Despite their self-concieved notions, they dont know anything.

Jim's accident is still yet to be determined too. Everyone has their theory of course. The facts are that he was pressing whistle rockets, and had too many open containers of comp. Any more than 1 is too many really. The main theory is that he was getting something, and slid it across the table, and it sparked something off. He saw the fire start, and was able to get moving toward the door before the brunt of the flames went off.

Contamination, and friction is the cause of a lot of accidents really.

Chemical incompatibilities, and bad practises make accidents more likely. Having too much material open makes an incident once started, more severe.

I once went on a guided tour of a UK fireworks factory and the whole place was clean enough to eat there, every compound was tested at sub gram levels before making a few grammes then a work batch may only be a kilo even for 40 - 50 mm comets! Much of the work they do is done on a brown paper "table cloth" which is discarded after work, so that nothing can rest on the bench to contaminate the next compound.

In the UK most reported accidents involve igniters and people trying to take igniters out of leader. This is possibly the reason why our legislation permits fusing on the display site but restricts off site fusing tiightly. An igniter is often called a match head and it may strike and burn as easily, with disastrous results.

Edited by Arthur

Familiarity (true or imaginary) can actually be a major reason why accidents happen. Unfortunately many procedures tend to "grind in" during the course of time, and increasing carelessness may hurt or kill someday.

Besides inadequate handling it is the omission of one basic rule which seems to be responsible for many severe accidents: the separation of working and storage area. In many cases there is simply an unnecessary amount of composition present in the workroom and if the worst comes to the worst the results are devastating, as in the case of Jim.