APC Forum

can Copper(i) Oxide used insted of Copper(ii) oxide?

Twotails

Ok, so Can copper (i) oxide (red copper oxide) be used to achive a blue/green color insted of Copper(ii) oxide?

If so, would this work?

I took two wires, striped them of there coatings, spread the copper wires in each side ( each had alot of small thin wires in each side) filled a beaker with salt water. placed both sides (not touching eachother) into the water, connected it to a 6v battery, and let it sit untill one side desolved, and the water turned orange, re-stiped the wires, and let it go for a few more hours.

The water was ( and a thick layer on the bottom) were bright orange. would i be able to strain out the copper (i) Oxide (if thats what it is) and use it as a blue color agent?(after washing the salt out.) also i noticed where the wires contacted the salt on the bottom, the salt turned blackish, any clue as to what thats about?

Both have been used in the past.

Black is generally cheaper and more obtainable, but if you want to use red, go for it!

Both have been used in the past.

Black is generally cheaper and more obtainable, but if you want to use red, go for it!

Thanks, so anyone know if the salt i use will pose a problem? I dont think it would, sence Copper (i) oxide is insolable in water, but im not to sure.

Well you have youself a soup of copper chemicals. And the sodium from the salt is not going to let you get to a blue no matter how much you wash it.

In that case what about converting it to copper (ii) oxide and then to copper chloride?

or insed of using NaCl, how about a subsitute like potassium chloride? Or what about using Aquious Ammonium chloride?( although it would be near impossable to sprarate the CuCl from The ammonium chloride.) Although I would like to say away from Ammonium compounds.

Well the chloride isn't all that useful. Copper (I) chloride is unstable and spontaneously converts to CuCl2 and copper metal. The oxide is more stable, but over time in contact with air or water will convert to the copper (II) oxide. You'll be fine with what you have, but two tails is right. If you want a good blue, use a different electrolyte.