APC Forum

Regarding Lampblack's use in glitter and other formulas, along with misc chemicals

Twotails

well heres the thing, Lampblack produces dim-gold sparks when used, i always make my BP with lampblack for i find even if somthing did not preform like expected, atleast i would have a nice effect. Its an opacifier, prevents Ultraviolet radiation from pre-igniting the fuel grains. i know it has a extramly large surface area( i read somthing along the lines of one tsp has the same surface area asa football field.) my question is in regards to its sutability in glitter and BP formulas.

Now heres a second question, recently when making stars( simple BP stars bound with NC laqure) i added citric acid ( it was a dry granular white solid, which i ground into a fine powder and added to the composition) I added it becouse it not only liquified when heated, but sustained a flame when lit. Now im not sure if it was just my imagiation, but i thought the stars with the citric acid looked more brighter, i also noted a slight increase in smoke produced.

Im not new to Pyrotechnics, but i have yet to make much beyond things using BP as a base.

When you say that you make your BP with Lampblack...do you mean blackpowder that you are using as a propellant (for lifting, breaking, etc?) I can't imagine lampblack working very well for that purpose. Not only can it not be milled (it will just stick together), but it also slower and cooler than charcoal. EDIT: I personally had problem with sticking when milling lampblack, but apparently it can be done: http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/How_to...inum_rocket.asp )It is also more expensive than charcoal. You'll probably want to make some charcoal as a general ingrediant for "BP based" pyrotechnics (there are some tutorials for charcoal manufacture floating around on the internet, and probably here as well).

Lampblack is a neat ingrediant for dim streamers, but generally finds use only in comets and large streamer stars, or as an additive in charcoal streamers. It may work in glitters, but I haven't tried it. There were also some metallic streamers than used it: http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to...works-stars.asp. There was a guy I talked to on youtube that had some nice looking lampblack stars, if I recall correctly he had used Shimizu's Tigertail formula (or something similar), and subbed lampblack for a portion of the charcoal.

Lampblack has its place, but charcoal is a far more important ingredient for general pyrotechnics.

About your citric acid...if you are adding it to a lampblack formula, it may very well brighten it up. Citric acid is a flammable organic, after all. I'm not sure if there are any sensitivity or incompatibility issues though, as it is not commonly used in pyrotechnics.

Edited by flying fish

Slow and troublesome you say? I only make 100g batches (I like to hand make my BP in a morter and pestle) Often I wet it with 50/30/20 alcohol/acetone/water, then press it threw a corse screen, or I press it into a puck. Recently i've been adding resin to my BP ( pine resin desolved in acetone) after its first drying, I add just enough resin-acetone mixture to make the powder moist. i then press it threw a corse screen, let it dry, then grind it again untill its as fine as i can get it. "(lampblack) is also more expensive than charcoal. You'll probably want to make some charcoal as a general ingrediant for "BP based" pyrotechnics (there are some tutorials for charcoal manufacture floating around on the internet, and probably here as well)." I have made my own charcoal, so im not new at that. yes, lampblack is quite expensive, but i find it worth it.

Well, if you can practice pyro solely with lampblack fuel and it works for you, then I won't try to tell you to do otherwise.

But in that case, I'm still not sure if I completely understand your question then...

Are you just asking whether lampblack and citric acid are suitable in stars? It really depends on what effects you are going for. It sounds like you have more experience working with lampblack than most of us. I think there are a few of us that use it as an additive for lengthening hang-time in willow/diadem stars, but I doubt there are any here that use it exclusively.

As far as lampblack as a fuel for glitter, it might work. There are some firefly formulas (closely related to glitter) that use lampblack only (see the first link in my above post).

Edited by flying fish