APC Forum

Possible Titanium glitter

TheEskimo

Hiya all!!

I think that I may have found a type of Ti glitter, if that is possible.

I used the basic Tigertail composition, with ~8% Titanium. It gives this glittery look.

Heres a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQIKRndwawo

I think the key is my titanium, it is Skylighter spherical 145-325 mesh Ti.

I think what happens is that the charcoal naturally shimmers, but the finer Ti acts like -325 spherical Al does in glitters like D1.

Have you seen Slow Gold? It's pretty close to a glitter, and not far from the formula you used.. Do a search for it, it's pretty much TT +Ti +BaSO4.

I'm glad you had good results with that Ti...namely because I just bought myself some of the same!

The Ti does by nature give an oscillating burn, leading to a glittery effect. I bet you are just seeing the "normal" Ti shimmer, for that grade of Ti. It is a different type of effect from standard glitters (Al + delay agent), but it does resemble it in many ways. I think standard glitters usually have larger, more intense flashes. And the mechanism is different as well (glitter droplet formation vs. dispersed burning Titanium).

I've thought about subbing Ti for Al in a glitter composition...and see what happens. Would it be a SUPER-GLITTER?! Haha, I will see what I can find out. Granted, this has probably been tried before...there might even be something about Ti usage in Winokur's writing on glitters.

Edited by flying fish

Tentacles, unless you are referring to a different "slow gold", I am quite sure that it does not have Barium sulfate in it.

It should go like TT + C + Ti

I have found that it is quite easy to give the Titanium sparks a good delay before igniting by adding a little extra sulfur and a little bicarbonate, but they certainly do not 'flash'. Indeed, by delaying the ignition you invaraibly prolong the burn.

Edited by Seymour

Interesting... My spherical Ti does indeed flash at the end of its burn. No delay agents whatsoever. Here's a recent shot which demonstrates this:

(this is a 1/8000 second exposure)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2672/3797939526_6582667eb9_b.jpg

Original here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/op_timus/3797939526/

As far as I know, Ti will not function in a glitter in the traditional sense (Slufide theory), but I'm no expert!

Edited by optimus

HmmmIt appears that the slower bruning TT stars gives a kind of delay to the Ti igniting. With rockets, and fast charcoal stars, the Ti leavesa thick, bushy tail. But with the slower TT stars, it a takes a little bit for the Ti to ignite, and gives the appearence of a glitter.

I just did a starmine test; the slower TT stars do indeed add a delay feature to to Ti.

• 2 weeks later...
Tentacles, unless you are referring to a different "slow gold", I am quite sure that it does not have Barium sulfate in it.

Good call - I was thinking of flaming shit, which actually has barium carbonate in it. Both formulas are pretty similar, actually, although the FS has that wicked sizzle with large mesh metal in it.