APC Forum

Black Powder Salute

Mario1

Ok so I kind of want to make a black powder ground salute because I dont want to use Flash powder. How would i do this? Just put BP in a tube, seal it, and light the fuse? Thanks! Edited by Mario1

You'll need more reinforcement than that most likely.

You might also want to focus on things other than salutes. They're a bad way to start, and draw un-needed attention.

I know im starting with a simple BP fountain. Then I would like to move on to small BP salutes. Nothing big like FP.

I know im starting with a simple BP fountain. Then I would like to move on to small BP salutes. Nothing big like FP.

That's kind of a stupid order to begin things. I've gathered you're a beginner and the typical order of device making for one is completely different.

I strongly agree with Mumbles here, do something else. There's a broad range of devices you could make than just a black powder salute and one's which are a lot more rewarding. Salutes are a good way to attract unwanted attention and the results is basically just a loud noise. I would be staying completely clear of such devices as blatantly doing these you're probably going to be accused for being a terrorist or a bomb maker. Not only is it a 'waste' of black powder in my opinion, if something goes wrong you'll be looking at burns and skin damage worse than the general firework.

Why not just do something else? After a black powder fountain maybe do a few small based star mines? It's really not a hobby to rush into things, I suggest you re-think the order in which you're planning to make things.

I tend to agree with the others. My favorite thing to do in pyro has always been experimenting with star compositions...trying to get those great effects...glitters, colors, even variations on charcoals streamers and other BP-based stars are fun to experiment with. There are plenty of areas like that, which are more satisfying than just blowin' stuff up, in my opinion.

Also, with the difficult spiking necessary to make a good "BP salute", you aren't necessarily "starting simple." with this approach.

Edited by flying fish

gunzaway i don't agree with you when you say that it will do more harm than an ordinary device good black powder is very fast and well slower black powder would do more damage to you as far as burns go a mine would probably be worse to though i do agree that salutes are never a good starting point. i would start with mines than progress to shells. these days i spend much of my time just experimenting with stars liek the others said trying to make nice colours and some interesting effects and making them chems i need to do the job

Ralph, if you made your post a little more legible people would probably take the advice a little more seriously.

As others have said, salutes are not the place to begin.

gunzaway i don't agree with you when you say that it will do more harm than an ordinary device good black powder is very fast and well slower black powder would do more damage to you as far as burns go a mine would probably be worse to though i do agree that salutes are never a good starting point. i would start with mines than progress to shells. these days i spend much of my time just experimenting with stars liek the others said trying to make nice colors and some interesting effects and making them chems i need to do the job

You are a worthy opponent >.>.

Depending on the circumstances and what you would consider a 'general firework'. I was talking large scale here like 100 grams compared to a fountain. Burns from a hot fountain would be bad, but natural instinct would be to move your hand away from it whilst a salute is fairly instantaneous.

This seems strangely relevant to the conversation here:

One of the physics professors here lost part of a couple of her fingers when the class c roman candle she was holding ruptured....that's just a miniscule amount of BP in a tube...

I'd imagine that a whole bunch of blackpowder in a tube could do a heck of a lot more damage than that, especially if you were holding it! You just have to treat this stuff with respect, even if it is "just" bp.

Well Id love to make stars and stuff but I dont a have ball mill or a star gun. Nothing. So im pretty restricted until I get paid some cash. So I can make fountains, salutes, small rockets...

Use that time to read up on some basic skills then. Pretty hard to paste a shell without thumbs. :D

You don't need any sort of fancy star gun to test stars... All you need is a cardboard tube with one end capped, secured well enough that it won't tip over. Heck, if you can make a salute you can make a stargun...

A salute will use a lot of BP and will only sound loud if your BP is really good. It will annoy the locals wherever you are, and bring your hobby into disrepute. -could get you locked up for bomb making or could permanently cost you some digits or limbs.

Basic BP chems make fountains, rockets and mines. Several glitter stars use BP chems plus a bit of something else.

Fountains are a good start, mines with cut stars will look nice and be an achievement, rockets may go up or may be useful as drivers for a wheel.

If you don't have a mill there is no viable way of making good BP, but you can mix and damp star comp and cut it into cubes to make stars.

A salute will use a lot of BP and will only sound loud if your BP is really good.

There are other ways. I have made salutes out of BM (BlackMatch not my BowelMovements :D) that turned out crappy because of sucky BP and wrong kind of string. Just load it into a tube loosely and paste like hell on the ends.

Oh I don't care about my neighbors. One day Ill go out and light up a half stick at 3 in the morning just to prove it. Anyway Ill try what I must. Im trying to make bp without a mill so Im not going to get very reasonable results. I guess Trial and error method for me...

Ralph, if you made your post a little more legible people would probably take the advice a little more seriously.

As others have said, salutes are not the place to begin.

I am tying as hard as I can as has been explained several times English is not my first language and i have dyslexia and I am trying my hardest and am sick of hearing about it I have every thing go through a spell checker and I add fullstops and stuff. Please just try and be understanding

A salute will use a lot of BP and will only sound loud if your BP is really good. It will annoy the locals wherever you are, and bring your hobby into disrepute. -could get you locked up for bomb making or could permanently cost you some digits or limbs.

Basic BP chems make fountains, rockets and mines. Several glitter stars use BP chems plus a bit of something else.

Fountains are a good start, mines with cut stars will look nice and be an achievement, rockets may go up or may be useful as drivers for a wheel.

If you don't have a mill there is no viable way of making good BP, but you can mix and damp star comp and cut it into cubes to make stars.

how big are people assuming the salutes will be I mean a few grams in a polumna isn't much. Plus a shell would have more bp (unless your making tiny shells)

Oh I don't care about my neighbors. One day Ill go out and light up a half stick at 3 in the morning just to prove it. Anyway Ill try what I must. Im trying to make bp without a mill so Im not going to get very reasonable results. I guess Trial and error method for me...

not a good attitude your neighbours might not care now but in a years time they may call the cops it is best to stay on good terms with them.

Hey, salutes can be very nice. But better don't start with them, check the other devices. Try fountains, starmines, hammers, bottle rockets.

However I make my salutes with moderation, not some 100 grams kewlish things. For example, I cut a 1 1/2"x 6/8" small cardboard tube, I place in the center a flash bag of 0,5g/1g of nitrate 5:3:2 fburst and I fill the empty space with charcoal powder, wooden shaving or metal powders. Finally, I glue 2 paper plugs from each side with epoxy glue and I sometimes spike the salute.

The same can be done with meal powder, without a flash bag and it makes a lower pitched, tolerable noise.

Oh I don't care about my neighbors. One day Ill go out and light up a half stick at 3 in the morning just to prove it.

That does not sound like a healthy attitude...

I am tying as hard as I can as has been explained several times English is not my first language and i have dyslexia and I am trying my hardest and am sick of hearing about it I have every thing go through a spell checker and I add fullstops and stuff. Please just try and be understanding

Alright, if that's the case then fine. If you have a condition, and never grew up with English then I really don't have a problem with it. Just as long as you aren't being lazy or something like most people are. No problems.

My neighbors always call the cops. No one complains they just call the cops. All we do is hide the fireworks. By the time they get there there is only smoke left. When the cops leave we start up again. For me police showing up is just a little break. Im not gonna make a huge salute. What ever fills a 3/4''id 2 and 1/4 tube.

It goes from bad to worse. Mario, the cops will not keep being so lenient, and perhaps one day, considering the 'fireworks' you make, you will end up thinking the police and the courts are being very unreasonable. You are pushing your luck in this game called life.

And with that arrogant apathy towards your neighbours, none of us will care when you go down, and we will be reluctant to help you before that day arrives.

Now change your tune!

If you must make salutes then you can take them a few kilometres away - no big deal.

Hmmm...salutes scare me. When I'm making 3 inch shells, I'm always thinking what could happen, since I've had a nasty incident in the past.

And Mario1, please, PLEASE, respect the neighbors, and the cops. Making salutes, and not recognizing the consequences, is the easiest way to get slapped with a whacking big fine, and possibly jailtime.

It's legal to make and use certain pyrotechnic devices, as long as you use them the same day. Make a fountain or two, and a starmine, and call over the neighbors. Tell them what you've made, show them your safety precautions. Set them off, and show your parents, and the neighbors, that you are trying to make art, and they won't be so inclined to call the cops.

But if you're set on making the salutes, and not caring, or wishing to respect the law, and the neighbors, then I say that you are on your own.

Ok Ill respect my neighbors. But how do I respect the police if fireworks are illegal in Illinois? Besides my neighbors like me, they just get board and call the cops. Like one time my new neighbors dog barked, and they called the police and soon enough the whole street was full of flashing lights and sirens all over a dog. The neighbors who dont like the fireworks live around the street on the other block.

FWIW, I've had great results from making BP w/about 1.5% red gum added before ricing.

I have read and tried but not really tested and taken notes that adding a small amount of metal (powder al) to BP can speed it up, say like 1-2% any more and it will start to slow it down.

I cant remember where i read it but I think it does work.

I love bringing all my neighbours for a BBQ and then showing off my skills and each time they come over im always complemented that they are better then the fireworks at the shows and stuff, lol, Im glad im on good terms with my neighbours, even if they couldnt hear one of my salutes only if they where at there home, if they listen closly i guess that might be able to cause they are kilometers away. I dont really make anyway, there arnt fun to really look at and my parents dont have a likeing to them, only on rocket headers I guess.