APC Forum

Colored stars with a tail

TheEskimo

Hi. I posted this here because it seems like a rather elementary problem. What can be addedd to colored stars to achieve a kind of glittery tail? I don't want to add titanium because it is expensive, and I think it might drown out the star itself. I was thinking along the lines of 5-10% Al flitters or -325mesh spherical Al, as used in a lot of glitters.

Anybody do this to their colored stars?

Just about any course metal powder should do. The composition will likely need some adjustment,but nothing major.

Hi, you could try adding some flitter al, or iron, but, I belive, if the star burns at a high temp any fine fuel will burn along with it. so I dont know about 325mesh sph al. I also had a simmular idea, but propaply ti is best suitible for this. or you can try this: make some color cut stars say 3-6mm. and add them into comet mix before pumping. I have already tried and the comets star burns say green and it leaves a good tail... looked very atractive to me :) of course it wasnt too bright....

PyroMan ^_^

I typically add 20-40 mesh granular Al for tail. The stuff is not easy to light, but it will light in metallic fueled colored stars. Also, It does not affect color considerably. The larger particle size you can use, the less it will change the color itself.

This might be better suited to cavity or stacked comets. You can make some very interesting effects that way. It's the only way you'll be able to get a true glitter tail.