APC Forum

Chemical Storage Container Labels

Ventsi

Most container or chemicals you order from a legitemate supplier come with an MSDS sheet and are properly labeled. If you are an "OTC" pyro however you don't have whack. I like my stuff to look nicely but until now I've been storing my chems in old food containers and such.

Recently I havent been doing any actual building, but instead buying tools making shelves, etc. I just recently bough a whole bunch of 16oz containers for my chemicals. They look nice and scientific but instead of scribbling on them with a Sharpie I'd like to put some nice, lab looking labels/tags on them.

Does anyone have print-outs?

I need ones for Sulfur, KNO3 , KClO4, SrCo3, Charcoal, Dextrose, Aluminum, Fe2O3,Bentonite,Dextrin.

Any help is appreciated.

Most container or chemicals you order from a legitemate supplier come with an MSDS sheet and are properly labeled. If you are an "OTC" pyro however you don't have whack. I like my stuff to look nicely but until now I've been storing my chems in old food containers and such.

Recently I havent been doing any actual building, but instead buying tools making shelves, etc. I just recently bough a whole bunch of 16oz containers for my chemicals. They look nice and scientific but instead of scribbling on them with a Sharpie I'd like to put some nice, lab looking labels/tags on them.

I need ones for Sulfur, KNO3 , KClO4, SrCo3, Charcoal, Dextrose, Aluminum, Fe2O3,Bentonite,Dextrin.

Any help is appreciated.

I will take a look through my documents but this is what I use for quick ID on my chems.

Everything is stored in 1000ml Nalgene jars so that nothing can get in or out. Yes, I know, threads. No flash, whistle or friction sensitive chems so no worries.

post-9798-1248989271_thumb.jpg

Edited by dagabu

This is right up my alley. I am a total dork when it comes to labels and storage. I use Avery 2 X 4 labels, and have set up a word document that lets me print some decent labels, like these:

http://www.5bears.com/chem1/clean005.jpg

http://www.5bears.com/ld/ld14.jpg

Basically, you buy the labels, and get a template for that label size. Make a cool label, then cut & paste the basic format, changing the chemical name and data as needed. Plastic labels work best. Paper labels can be used, but they get dirt fast, and I use 2" wide packaging tape over the label to protect them.

You can put good data on the label - CAS numbers, solubilites, molecular weight, hazard symbols, etc.

Geek.... ^^^

Bhahaha!

Swede thats exactly what I was looking for , I guess I'll just follow your format and design and make some. I think I have a buddy who has acces to a plastic printer, if not clear tape it is.

EDIT: Here are some I just made:

post-9618-1249076947_thumb.pngpost-9618-1249076951_thumb.png

post-9618-1249076956_thumb.pngpost-9618-1249076962_thumb.png

post-9618-1249076970_thumb.pngpost-9618-1249076977_thumb.png

post-9618-1249076982_thumb.pngpost-9618-1249076989_thumb.png

Edited by Ventsi

We'll see who the geek is when the alphabet boys drop by, and they say "Sorry for disturbing your research, professor! Here is all your stuff back." :lol:

Those look good to me Ventsi. All you have to do now is format your document to print correctly on the label sheet. I had to tweak margins and such. Actually I didn't use a template for those labels, I just made a table in Word with the correct dimensions and massaged the margins and such, and tried it with plain paper first.

I think it is wise to put on warning labels like OXIDIZER, POISON and the like, too. I drew the line at the MSDS diamond as being too difficult to mess with.

I like this..I should make some.

Some of my chems are anylitical or high grade and come in proper containers- but then again I also have some garden nitrate, NH4NO3, sulfur, carbonates, some less commonly used nitrates, some chlorates/percs (nvm, I only have anylitical chlors..), dextrin, charcoal, AF/charcoal, red + blue iron oxide and probably some others that need it..

If only I am to see some nice containers..

By the way don't draw the msds label, copy and paste it in

Yeah I just don't want my place looking like a crackhouse/methlab. Better look like a teenager that is a bit too curious than a mass producing cokehead.

Anyway I found a few errors I made on those.

1. The density on the KNO3 is actually its molar mass,

2. The Density on the Dextrin is the one of Aluminum.

Here are the fixed versions:

post-9618-1249157100_thumb.pngpost-9618-1249157105_thumb.png

I'm sure they wouldn't think that if they found containers of red phosphorous..iodine and the likes.

Anyway, got more pressing issues at the moment. Have to go finish putting my lathe together.

This guy sells decent containers on eBay, username dudadiesel. I know I've mentioned him before. The 76 ounce containers hold 2 to 4 pounds of chemical. And they stack nicely. You can use plastic bags as liners if you want, but it's not essential. If the chem is hygroscopic, it's a good idea.

• 1 year later...

I use Lock & Lock containers and for now i just use duck tape for labels that will change soon. The lock & lock containers saved my life a couple weeks ago so I use them for everything chemical related. I also spray a little static x on them. I would use Lock & Lock to store my completed works but they aren't big enough.

Here is a link form amazon. the containers come in all sorts of storage capacities just do a search in amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-HPL20BS-Polypropylene-Food-Storage-Container/dp/B001AS8FMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282224518&sr=8-1

Awesome! Now I just need to find a subliminal way to get you to make one for each of the chems I own :whistle: Edited by Skycastlefish

• 5 months later...

Any help is appreciated.

What I have for you isnt as cool as the labels that he made, but I've used www.warninglabelgenerator.com and it lets you make all sorts of cool warning signs. Helpful if your not as artsy as people that can make real ones.

Wow I ought to start labeling my stuff. Most everything in my laboratory I've memorized by the shape of the container rather than by labeling. It would be nice to have everything labeled so that other people know what's where. Edited by SolarSeeker

I just used that site and I believe it is great I made a few labels for my chems and then covered the label with self adhesive plastic covering used to cover books so the label doesn't get dirty or wet

What I have for you isnt as cool as the labels that he made, but I've used www.warninglabelgenerator.com and it lets you make all sorts of cool warning signs. Helpful if your not as artsy as people that can make real ones.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Ventsi!!! Those are great! Now if I could bug you for: Parlon, Ferro-Titanium, Magnalium, Red Gum, Strontium Nitrate, Bentonite Clay, Potassium Perchlorate......:whistle:

No problem toster! I put these together using solely Microsoft PowerPoint and some random images off the web. You should give it a go if you have the patience. wink2.gif