APC Forum

An eye for pyro comps

scarbelly

In music, there are people that are so good that they can play something after just hearing it. Are there any pyros out there who can determine what composition was used for a specific effect just by seeing it? For example, someone could see a star mine and know immediately "Oh, those are Winokur 20 glitter stars".

In music, there are people that are so good that they can play something after just hearing it. Are there any pyros out there who can determine what composition was used for a specific effect just by seeing it? For example, someone could see a star mine and know immediately "Oh, those are Winokur 20 glitter stars".

Well many people can determine the general effect and maybe the chemicals used, but there's no way you could know which formula was used, the manufacturing companies have their own formulae which they keep secret.

Additionally, depending on the specific samples of chemicals used, and the manufacturing process, batches of the same composition can burn very differently.

You do however get to instinctively know that 'that brocade had an unusually high Titanium content" or "that green star used fairly coarse MgAl".

Well many people can determine the general effect and maybe the chemicals used, but there's no way you could know which formula was used, the manufacturing companies have their own formulae which they keep secret.

Yeah I figured it would be something like that. That makes a lot of sense. thank you for your responses.

I'm not good enough to say exactly every chemical that was used in a star composition down to the binder, but I can usually give a pretty good guess or two.

After working with various compositions for so long you also kinda get a feel for the ratios. I can make a star composition up off the top of my head and have it work pretty reliably first try. I know in general how much of oxidizer A it takes for so much of organic fuel B with a pinch of metal C, and how much coloring salt D can be used before it brings the reaction to a fizzle. It just takes a handful of experience for that.

I do that sometimes for fun.... In fact I sometimes I don't fully enjoy fireworks anymore and have to remind myself to just enjoy them.... because I am to busy analyzing them.

But no I don't think anyone can just know exactly what composition is being used. But you can identify effects and types. Ya know...different kinds of sparks from different metals, brightness, thick or thin tail...etc.