APC Forum

Chloric acid

Douchermann

Chloric acid (HClO3) is a powerful oxidiser and almost a strong acid. Its used for making chlorate salts. It is made by mixing dilute sulfuric acid with barium chlorate. Then filtering the completely insoluble barium sulfate. It decomposes if in concentrations above 30% and will decompose on warming. For this reason, it must be kept cold all the time and all the glassware used to handle it must be previously refridgerated.

H2SO4 + Ba(ClO3)2 ---> 2HClO3 + BaSO4

I made some of this stuff last night using potassium chlorate instead as I have no barium chlorate. It was kept in an ice bath the whole time and the potassium sulfate was filtered off after the reaction was complete. I realized today that I used double the ammount of sulfuric acid needed so it is heavily contaminated with sulfuric acid. I used 10ml of H2SO4 and 19g of KClO3 when stoicheometrically 10ml of H2SO4 (94%) needs ~42 grams of KClO3. The sulfuric acid needs to be diluted to keep the concentration of chloric acid under 30%. Use excess chlorate as it can be filtered off, the sulfuric acid can not.

With this I will be experimenting with organic chlorates.

You will want to prepare barium chlorate, mainly because I belive that the KHSO4 formed is still soluable in acids, and thus a contaminant. Also, the H2SO4, being the stronger acid will form salts with organic compounds over the HClO3. Perchloric acid may suit your needs better, as it is classified as a superacid(stonger than H2SO4) and makes some interesting and energetic organic salts.

Yes I know, but I don't have any barium compounds whatsoever. I want to get barium chlorate but with all the darn hazmat fees and me being kinda out of cash right now I can't get any of that. I got rid of the stuff contaminated with H2SO4 because of the reason you said. I need to remake it using more excess chlorate so that all of the H2SO4 gets reacted and then you can just filter the unreacted chlorate out (if you get it nice and cold). The problem with organic perchlorates is that some of them are fairly unstable (check out the ethyl perchlorate thread at sciencemadness).

"The problem with organic perchlorates is that some of them are fairly unstable"

... while still being more stable than the organic chlorates. I doubt there are many that can be isolated at all. The acid is probably more likely to oxidize the organic instead of forming an ester or a salt with it. E.g. HClO3 + Ethanol should be detonable were it not for the water in the dilute acid, which tends to limit this to a vulcano effect.

You might try to make salts with hard-to-oxidize organic bases, but you will have little luck with alcohols me thinks. I doubt even things like urea or hexamin (di) chlorate are a good idea.

I wasn't going to try to make alkyl chlorates. But maybe (mono,di,poly) saccharides. Hexamine would be fun to try. I'd have to do it in small ammounts though as I don't know if it would be unstable when wet.

• 3 weeks later...
Chloric acid (HClO3) is a powerful oxidiser and almost a strong acid. Its used for making chlorate salts. It is made by mixing dilute sulfuric acid with barium chlorate. Then filtering the completely insoluble barium sulfate. It decomposes if in concentrations above 30% and will decompose on warming. For this reason, it must be kept cold all the time and all the glassware used to handle it must be previously refridgerated.

H2SO4 + Ba(ClO3)2 ---> 2HClO3 + BaSO4

I made some of this stuff last night using potassium chlorate instead as I have no barium chlorate. It was kept in an ice bath the whole time and the potassium sulfate was filtered off after the reaction was complete. I realized today that I used double the ammount of sulfuric acid needed so it is heavily contaminated with sulfuric acid. I used 10ml of H2SO4 and 19g of KClO3 when stoicheometrically 10ml of H2SO4 (94%) needs ~42 grams of KClO3. The sulfuric acid needs to be diluted to keep the concentration of chloric acid under 30%. Use excess chlorate as it can be filtered off, the sulfuric acid can not.

With this I will be experimenting with organic chlorates.

actually Chloric acid is a stong acid

its one of the seven

HCl

HClO3

HClO4

HNO3

H2SO4

HI

HBr

~Arete

Chloric Acid is borderline. It all depends on what you are taught. The pKa, is very close to -1 which is the magic number for strong/weak acids. There are also more that seven. Perhaps you just mean 7 common high school level ones.

Chloric Acid is borderline. It all depends on what you are taught. The pKa, is very close to -1 which is the magic number for strong/weak acids. There are also more that seven. Perhaps you just mean 7 common high school level ones.

yeah i forgot to add in common, its one of the seven more common SA's but isnt chloric usually classified as strong?

ive always seen it that way

~Arete

Yes, usually is classified as a strong acid.

Tchemik