APC Forum

KNO3 Salute Mix

jrin0630

I attempting to add a salute effect to a few 3" ball shells. I was going to try the 50/30/20 mix of KNO3/S/Al so as not to deal with the chlorate based mixtures. The KNO3, S and Al are from Skylighter and are about 200-300 mesh. Can these jus be dry mixed? If not, can someone share the process for wet mixing?

Yes, they can be dry mixed. But VERY carefully. The diaper method is recommended. Or you can ball mill KNO3 and S together then mix in the aluminum. Once again this is all done very carefully. Nitrate flash is much safer than other types but still should be handled with care.

Yes, they can be dry mixed. But VERY carefully. The diaper method is recommended. Or you can ball mill KNO3 and S together then mix in the aluminum. Once again this is all done very carefully. Nitrate flash is much safer than other types but still should be handled with care.

Can you give your rational for mixing this via the diaper method? The sulfur will not react with the KNO3 or the AL, add boric acid to the mix (1%) and the exothermic reaction that can happen is controlled.

ANY composition should be treated with care but screen mixing should be fine though some say to NEVER screen mix metals due to contamination.

Google the reactivity, there are many graphs and such that show the sensitivity of any composition.

Given that this *IS* the Newbie section, I'd like to point out that flash is *NOT* something you should be experimenting with until you're beyond the "Newbie" stage.

You mention 3" shells, so I'm assuming you're a bit beyond that stage.

But I'll caution anyone reading THIS thread, to read quite a few more about the dangers of flash BEFORE you experiment with it.

Stay safe and healthy!